- duration 25 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Embark on the first stage of the famed Great Himalaya Trail
- Marvel at the stunning views of the immense north face of Kanchenjunga
- Immerse yourself in Limbu, Sherpa and Rai cultures
- Enjoy a fully supported trek, with hearty meals prepared by our cooks
The Kanchenjunga Exploratory is the first stage of the Great Himalaya Trail and passes through stunning mountain scenery under the immense north face of Kanchenjunga before turning towards the west where we cross the Nango La.. The Kanchenjunga Exploratory is the first stage of our inaugural Great Himalaya Trail and passes through stunning mountain scenery under the immense north face of Kanchenjunga before turning towards the west where we cross the Nango La, before looping back to our starting point at Suketar.
During this trek there will be sections where the trail is very rugged or ill-defined, some trails have been trekked only once by a small party, and so the going will be tough. Space in some camp sites will also be very limited. It may be necessary to make changes to the itinerary at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as adverse weather, snow or trail conditions, river water levels, or group movement. Your trip leader will advise any changes should this occur. All participants on the GHT should be flexible and open minded. The GHT should be seen as exploratory in the true sense of the word.
Day 1 : Arrive Kathmandu
Day 2 : Free day in Kathmandu
Day 3 : Fly Bhadrapur (2420m). Drive to Ilam. Approx. 5hrs drive.
Day 4 : Drive to Taplejung (1820m). Drive approx. 4-5hrs.
Day 5 : To Mitlung (1542m), walk approx. 4 hrs.
Day 6 : To Chiruwa (1270m), walk approx. 6-7hrs.
Day 7-8 : To Sukethum (1576m) walk approx. 6hrs, & Amjilosa (2308m) walk approx. 6hrs.
Day 9-11 : To Gyabla (2730m), walk approx. 6hrs, and to Ghunsa (3595m), walk approx. 6hrs.
Day 12 : To Khangpachen (4050m), walk approx. 6-7hrs.
Day 13 : To Lhonak (4780m), walk approx. 6-7hrs
Day 14 : Kanchenjunga Base Camp (4050m), walk approx. 7hrs.
Day 15-16 : Return trek to Ghunsa
Day 17 : To Nango La Camp (4776m), walk approx. 5.5hrs
Day 18-19 : Cross Nango La (4776m) to Nasa Kharka (3430m / 7hrs) & Olangchun Gola (3191m/ 8hrs).
Day 20-22 : To River Side Camp (1750m), Chiruwa & Phurumbu (1542m).
Day 23 : Return to Suketar (2420m), walk approx. 4hrs.
Day 24 : To Kathmandu by air (1330m)
Day 25 : Trip concludes Kathmandu
- Airport transfers if arriving on day 1 and 25 or if you booked pre/post tour accommodation at the Radisson through World Expeditions
- Good quality accommodation in Kathmandu
- Accommodation in our fully serviced wilderness campsites
- 24 breakfasts, 21 lunches and 21 dinners including all meals on trek valued at US$950
- Flights Kathmandu/Biratnagar/Suketar & Suketar/Kathmandu US$316 approx
- Expert bilingual guide
- 25kgs luggage allowance
- The use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500)
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Expedition medical kit
- Safety equipment including high altitude chamber and satellite phone
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment and porter's insurance
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bottled water, aerated & alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- International flights
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 180+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this GHT Kanchenjunga Exploratory tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 03 December 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 03 December 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
GHT Kanchenjunga Exploratory tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this GHT Kanchenjunga Exploratory tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.
How much money do I need to bring with me?
Your personal budget obviously depends on your spending habits and what is included in your trip cost. If accommodation is included, but meals are not, we would suggest that you bring around 30 USD per day per person for meals. Having a hot shower or charging your device sometimes costs extra. There are also sometimes small crafts/souvenirs to buy along the trekking route which you may want to bring extra money for. Also, consider whether you would be staying in Kathmandu or Pokhara before or after your trek.
- Is quarantine in Nepal in effect for arriving visitors?
What happens if someone gets altitude sickness, does the rest of the group continue on?
It depends on the situation. Sometimes, altitude sickness can be treated and the trekker may wish to continue. If not, the rest of the group can continue on if they want and the sick person can descend.
- How does it work with a porter?
Is a visa on arrival available?
Typically, yes. However, in response to the current Covid situation, rules for arriving visitors may change frequently and sometimes without notice. It may be necessary to obtain a tourist visa in your own country before travel. For updated information on visas, please check the Nepal Tourism Board and the Government of Nepal Immigration websites.