- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the offthebeatentrack destination of Kirtipur that most tourists miss
- Walk the ancient alleys of Kirtipur while learning about its history, culture, and lifestyle
- Enjoy the views of Kathmandu Valley from Uma Maheshwar Temple and Bagh Bhairav Temple
- Experience a traditional Newari lunch with a localhost
Join an expert local guide for an off-the-beaten-path adventure to discover the ancient town of Kirtipur. Soak up the laid-back vibes and amazing views of Kathmandu Valley as you stroll narrow alleyways learning about the Newari culture, the indigenous culture of Kathmandu Valley. Then cap off all that sightseeing with a traditional Newari lunch at a local home.
Located in the southwestern suburbs of Kathmandu, Kirtipur is visited by only a handful of tourists but is a gem in terms of history and culture. Meet up with your guide for an insightful tour of this off-the-beaten-path town. First up, we have about a 35-minute drive before we reach a place called Nayabazaar. From here you will get your first glimpse of this colorful town built in fort-like structure atop a hill. Hear interesting stories from your guide about the famous battle of Kirtipur and the bravery of its natives, the Newari people.
We’ll then start the walking tour up to Chilancho Temple, which is an ancient Buddhist shrine, but different from the usual stupas seen elsewhere in Kathmandu. The ancient medieval Newari settlements around it are a pretty sight, as are the giggling children and smiling old men. Soak in the age-old scenes of intricate wood carvings and narrow alleys as you stroll down to Bagh Bhairav Temple, with its relics of the battle and views of Kathmandu city. Bagh Bhairav is considered the guardian deity of Kirtipur and is revered by both Hindus and Buddhists alike.
Our next stop is Uma Maheshwar Temple, which lies on the highest part of Kirtipur and offers panoramic views of Kathmandu city. Climb up the stairs and relax on the temple’s porch to catch your breath and enjoy the view.
Walk down the old alleys and observe the locals as they sit around their houses chatting, spinning wool or knitting. Then end your tour on a tasty note at a local’s home where you will have a delicious Newari lunch the traditional way: by sitting cross-legged on the floor with your guide and host. Learn about Newari food as you enjoy your meal and chat with your host about everyday life around Kirtipur.
- traditional Newari lunch
- Local English-speaking guide
- entry fees
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Discover Kirtipur tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 17 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 17 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Discover Kirtipur tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Discover Kirtipur tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Hotel Marshyangdi, Chaksibari Marg, Thamel, KathmanduMeeting end point :
Hotel Marshyangdi, Chaksibari Marg, Thamel, KathmanduCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.