Explore Southern Africa
- Best price guaranteed
- No booking fees
- Road trips
- Booking Type Instant booking
- duration 18 days
- tour type Group Request as private
- age requirement 15-99 yrs
- max group size 22
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-3655
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matobo National Park and support local conservation efforts with a visit to Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Venda people during a village homestay in South Africa's Limpopo province.
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As the sun sets and night falls, the sounds of Africa come alive.
- Explore the magnificent Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, some of the largest salt flats in the world. These mind-bending plains make for some magical photography.
- Marvel at the unforgettable views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest and is probably the greenest of the lot.
Discover southern Africa's waterways and national parks – plus the wildlife that call them home – on this 18-day adventure. Canoe down the lush waterways of the Okavango Delta, watch hippos wallowing along the shores of the Chobe River, safari in the vast parks of Hwange, Kruger and Matobo and sleep under the stars in campsites, a bush camp on the Delta, and a village homestay. Join Intrepid on an adventure through southern Africa’s most beautiful landscapes in search of elephants, lions, rhinos, warthogs and leopards.
Day 1: Johannesburg
Day 2: Khama Rhino Sanctuary
Day 3: Maun
Day 4: Okavango Delta
Day 5: Okavango Delta
Day 6: Maun
Day 7: Nata
Day 8: Chobe National Park
Day 9: Victoria Falls
Day 10: Victoria Falls
Day 11: Hwange National Park
Day 12: Matobo National Park
Day 13: Matobo National Park
Day 14: Tshipise
Day 15: Makushu Village
Day 16: Kruger National Park
Day 17: Kruger National Park
Day 18: Johannesburg
- Camping (with facilities) (12 nights), Bush camp (no facilities) (2 nights), Homestay (2 nights), Hotel (1 night)
- 16 Breakfasts, 11 Lunches, 14 Dinners
- Overland vehicle , Open safari vehicle , Mokoro
- An expert tour leader
- Khama Rhino Sanctuary - Sunset Game Drive Open Vehicle
- Okavango Delta - Mokoro safari
- Okavango Delta - Sunrise Walk
- Okavango Delta - Mokoro safari
- Nata - Makgadikgadi Salt Pans 4x4 Excursion
- Chobe National Park - River Cruise
- Victoria Falls - Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust Visit
- Hwange National Park - Guided 4x4 Game Drive
- Hwange - Painted Dog Conservation visit
- Matobo National Park - Rhino Tracking
- Matobo National Park - San Rock Paintings
- Makushu Homestay - Beading, Cooking or Dancing
- Kruger National Park - Overland Vehicle Game drive
- Kruger National Park - Night Game Drive
- Panorama Route - Bourke's Luck Potholes
- Any international flights to/from Johannesburg are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Explore Southern Africa tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Earn US$ 112+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Explore Southern Africa tour. You can cancel the tour up to 58 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 57 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 06 August 2023, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 06 August 2023, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 57 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Explore Southern Africa tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Explore Southern Africa tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you
- This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
- The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts on this trip. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino will be well worth any loss of sleep!
- Please note that this is a combination trip – two or more smaller trips linked together to make a longer adventure. That means your group composition may change in Victoria Falls.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
What is the best way to travel to South Africa?
South Africa is a long journey and most people travel to the southern tip of Africa by plane. It is also quite a large country and most people prefer to fly low-cost local airplanes between larger cities and rent a car to travel between different points of interest. The most stress-free way to travel in South Africa is to join a tour group or pre-planned tour that takes care of all the travel arrangements for you.
How many days are enough for South Africa?
We suggest you spend at least 10 days in South Africa but if you can spare 14 or even 21 days, you will find more than enough to keep you busy. For more information, check out our guide on how many days to spend in South Africa.
- Is vacationing in South Africa safe?
How much does it cost to tour South Africa?
There are several tour packages to suit your budget for a holiday in South Africa. A basic safari tour can be as little as USD 800 while a luxury honeymoon holiday could go all the way up to USD 5000. Most tours range between USD 2000 and USD 3000 for tours that cover a few of South Africa’s main attractions.
What is the best month to go to South Africa?
September is widely considered the best time to visit South Africa. Springtime is blissful down south with near-perfect weather all around the country.