- Road trips
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 18 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 22
- Footprint carbonneutralCO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date prior to 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour You can select a new tour run by the same operator up to 30 days before departure.
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matobo National Park and support local conservation efforts with a visit to Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Venda people at a twonight village homestay in South Africa's Limpopo province.
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As the sun sets and night falls, the sounds of Africa come alive.
- Explore the magnificent Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, some of the largest salt flats in the world. These mindbending plains make for some magical photography.
- Marvel at the unforgettable views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest and is probably the greenest of the lot.
Discover southern Africa's waterways and national parks – plus the wildlife that call them home – on this 18-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Canoe down the lush waterways of the Okavango Delta, watch hippos wallowing along the shores of the Chobe River, safari in the vast parks of Hwange, Kruger and Matobo and sleep under the stars in campsites and village homestays. Join Intrepid and Lonely Planet on an adventure through southern Africa’s most beautiful landscapes in search of elephants, lions, rhinos, warthogs and leopards.
Day 1: Johannesburg
Day 2: Khama Rhino Sanctuary
Day 3: Maun
Day 4: Okavango Delta
Day 5: Okavango Delta
Day 6: Maun
Day 7: Nata
Day 8: Chobe National Park
Day 9: Victoria Falls
Day 10: Victoria Falls
Day 11: Hwange National Park
Day 12: Matobo National Park
Day 13: Matobo National Park
Day 14: Makushu Village
Day 15: Makushu Village
Day 16: Kruger National Park
Day 17: Kruger National Park
Day 18: Johannesburg
- Camping (with facilities) (12 nights), Bush camp (no facilities) (2 nights), Homestay (2 nights), Hotel (1 night)
- 17 Breakfasts, 11 Lunches, 14 Dinners
- Overland vehicle , Open safari vehicle , Mokoro
- An expert tour leader
- Khama Rhino Sanctuary - Open Safari Vehicle Game Drive
- Okavango Delta - Mokoro safari
- Okavango Delta - Sunrise Walk
- Okavango Delta - Mokoro safari
- Nata - Makgadikgadi Salt Pans
- Chobe National Park - River Cruise
- Hwange National Park - Open Safari Vehicle Game Drive
- Victoria Falls - Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust Visit
- Hwange - Painted Dog Conservation visit
- Matobo National Park - Rhino Tracking, Open Safari Vehicle Park Visit & San Rock Paintings
- Makushu Homestay - Floor making, Beading, Cooking or Dancing
- Makushu Homestay - Morning hike
- Kruger National Park - Overland Vehicle Game drive
- Panorama Route - God's Window Viewpoint
- Panorama Route - Bourke's Luck Potholes
- Any international flights to/from Johannesburg are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Explore Southern Africa tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Save US$ 145 today.
- Earn US$ 96+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Explore Southern Africa tour. You can cancel the tour up to 30 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 29 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 June 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 June 2022, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 29 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Explore Southern Africa tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Explore Southern Africa tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
- The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts on this trip. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino will be well worth any loss of sleep!
- Please note that this is a combination trip – two or more smaller trips linked together to make a longer adventure. That means your group composition may change in Victoria Falls.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated. Children aged 17 years and under must present either a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery or proof of full vaccination. Any customer who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons can apply for an exemption. Customers must provide a medical certificate from a medical professional. These new safety measures apply on all trips, except for tours in Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands.