- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Hiking in the spectacular Drakensberg Mountains, a UNESCO World Heritage region
- Trek to the top of the Amphitheatre in the Drakensbergs
- Hike to the cliffface where Tugela Falls, second highest in the world, cascades 948m
Spectacular day walks in the Drakensberg Mountains. The World Heritage listed Drakensberg Mountains are the highest mountain range in South Africa, known in Zulu as the 'Barrier of Spears', where towering peaks and pinnacles resemble spears. Spectacular canyons, cliffs, near vertical escarpments and gullies form an ideal terrain for the keen walker wishing to explore and scramble through this rugged wonderland on a series of day walks from our comfortable hotel bases. The highlight of the trip is the strenuous ascent of the Amphitheatre.
Day 1 : In Johannesburg, trip concludes
Day 2 : Transfer to the Drakensberg Mountains (World Heritage Site)
Day 3 : National Natal Park Grotto Hike (approx 20 kms; 8 hours)
Day 4 : “Cavern Big 5” Hike (approx 18 kms; 8 hours)
Day 5 : Sugarloaf to Witsieshoek Rest Camp (approx 14 kms; 7 hours)
Day 6 : Amphitheatre ascent (approx 10km; 8 hours)
Day 7 : Descend to Mahai Camp (4 hours) then drive to Johannesburg
Day 8 : In Johannesburg, where trip concludes
- 7 nights in 3 star hotels on a twinshare basis
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 5 dinners
- English speaking local walking guides in the Drakensberg
- National park and conservation fees
- International flights and airport departure taxes
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Bottled water, aerated and alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature - eg. laundry, phone calls, spending money
- Travel Insurance
- Excess baggage costs
- Day 7 - compulsory 30 ZAR per person park fee payable locally at the exit gate for Kwazulu-Natal National Park . This cannot be paid in advance and is NOT included in the trip cost.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 115 today.
- Earn US$ 76+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Drakensberg Walking Tour tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 11 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 11 February 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Drakensberg Walking Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Drakensberg Walking Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.