- National parks
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- duration 7 days
- tour type Private
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- See gorgeous views of the Cordillera Blanca
- Enjoy trekking on the Santa Cruz trail
- Climb Mt. Pisco
- Travel through traditional villages and see the Andean life up close
Hit the circuit right away. Travel through mountainous terrain, enjoying stunning views of towering mountains, gushing rivers, lakes and traditional Andean villages along the way. Cross the Punta Union Pass and climb Mt. Pisco.
Don't be nervous if you are not a professional climber. This is an achievable climb for anyone who is well acclimatised and fit. It is a suitable climb for beginners and a rewarding experience for professional climbers. We will drive back to Huaraz at the end of the trip.
I travelled with my guide in a bed bus from Arequipa to Cotahausi and at 5:00 am the next morning we caught a collectivo to start the first trek. All travel to the distant little villages in the Canyon was by local collectivos and the guide used his knowledge of the timetables to catch the collectivos on their return journeys. Travelling with local people was an extremely interesting glimpse into everyday life.
One morning we caught a bus at 3:00 am to travel to Puyca to walk up to the Wari ruins high above the village at the Archaeological site of Maucallacta, 3925 metres: such a peaceful, pre Inca site high up against the heights of the Canyon overlooking ancient terraces that swept down to the bottom of the valley. There was even a stone bathing area that we recognised as an Inca addition.
Cotahausi Canyon is extremely beautiful, remote, diverse and unspoilt with many interesting attractions to walk to including the impressive tall Cactus Forest and Sepia Falls. One very cold morning we travelled to a village called Huaynacotas high up on the sides of the Canyon. It had snowed the night before and a volcanic crater and the ridges above the snow line were dusted with white. After walking along the ridge road to enjoy the view along the canyon, we took five hours to walk on a narrow track down to the river and then on to Luicho to splash in the local thermal pools.
Cotahuasi Canyon is an amazing place to trek and I am very grateful to James and my guide that I was given the opportunity to have such an authentic experience.”
We have left Puerto Natales and still travelling. Thanks again for helping plan a memorable trip for us. We are grateful to have experienced the beauty of TdP.”
Please keep in touch and we hope to see you again another year! best regards, James”
Day 1: Huaraz - Cashapampa - Llamacorral
Day 2: Llamacorral - Alpamayo Base Camp - Taullipampa
Day 3: Taullipampa - Punta union pass - Huaripampa
Day 4: Huaripampa - Vaqueria - Yanamachay
Day 5: Yanamachay - Portachuelo Pass - Cebollapampa
Day 6: Cebollapampa - Pisco Base Camp
Day 7: Mt Pisco summit & Huaraz
- Pickup transfer from your hotel to the bus station
- A specialized high mountain guide
- Cooks and porters as well as donkey drivers and donkeys
- A full board service during the trek
- Camping equipment
- Hotel in the city
- Entrance fees to the Huascaran National Park (150.00 soles per person)
- Travel, accident and health insurance
- Horses (in case of an emergency while trekking)
- Breakfast on the first day and dinner on the last day
- Personal expenses
- Personal camping and climbing equipment like sleeping bags, climbing boots, crampons, harnesses, ice axes, heat lamp, snow glasses, appropriate clothes, personal medicines, etc
- Earn US$ 52+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
40% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 60 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 60 days prior departure, but the 40% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 60 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 40% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 60 days prior departure. For any bookings within 60 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationWe recommend that you carry the following items: Hikking boots Trekking socks (synthetic fibers) A sun hat and a fleece hat (for a cold weather) Microfibre shirts and thermal Fleece Trekking pants Sunglasses Day Backpack or bags (capacity: 40 liters) A waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex or other) Waterproof Pant (Gore-Tex or other) A waterproof layer of clothes A water bottle Headlamps (with extra batteries and bulbs) Sunscreen (lips and skin) A personal first aid Kit Camera A wash bag and towels Sandals Hiking poles