- duration 3.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Marvel at colonial architecture at the Notre Dame Cathedral, General Post Office and Reunification Palace
- See Ho Chi Minh City from the seat of a cyclo, just like a local
- Ride toward the crossroads where the famous monk Thich Quang Duc selfimmolated in 1963, in protest of the government's persecution of Buddhists
- Sit among the locals and enjoy Vietnamese coffee or iced tea at a local café in Saigon
Heard of the slow food movement? Try the slow tour movement! Travel Ho Chi Minh City and minimise your carbon emissions on this city tour that trades in cars and tour buses for the humble cyclo.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Make like a local and experience Ho Chi Minh City using your own two feet and from the seat of a cyclo! With a combination of foot power and pedal power, you'll see the classic sights and quintessential markets of HCMC like you've never seen them before! We'll start walking from the General Post Office, an icon of Saigon, and Notre Dame Cathedral, built by the French during the colonial era. Both structures are fine examples of architecture from the colonial period.
Our HCMC tour takes us past the Reunification Palace, previously referred to as the Presidential Palace, and the site of the official South Vietnamese surrender on April 30th, 1975. Although we won't go into the palace, your local guide will tell you all about it and give you the chance to take some photos.
From here we continue our journey to Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, where we'll embark on a cyclo tour of Ho Chi Minh City, rolling around the city on a traditional three-wheeled bicycle with a carriage at the front for passengers. Drivers use pedal power to push us along, and gives us the opportunity to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of HCMC without the barrier of being trapped behind a car window (or the sound of a noisy engine!).
The ride will lead us to a local café for a quick pick-me-up, where you will sit among locals and enjoy some tasty Vietnamese coffee.
Hop back on the cyclo and we'll ride toward the crossroads where the famous monk Thich Quang Duc self-immolated in 1963, in protest of the government’s persecution of Buddhists.
We’ll then ride to the very local District 3 and the biggest flower market in the city. We’ll also visit a neighbourhood where a lot of Viet Kieu Cambodians now live in Saigon, giving you a chance to learn more about Southeast Asian history and taste some finger food in the market.
Back on the cyclo, it’s non-stop sightseeing as we pass by the ‘pet street,’ Le Hong Phong, and the ‘art and painting street,’ Tran Phu, before bidding our cyclos goodbye at Tao Dan Park. Here, we’ll enjoy a short walk to Saigon’s iconic and authentic Ben Thanh Market; with its unmistakable clock tower, it has long been a staple of the city and is not to be missed.
At the end of your Ho Chi Minh City tour you are free to continue exploring Ben Thanh market, or your guide will assist you in getting a taxi back to your hotel or providing tips and suggestions for further exploration in the area.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Cyclo ride
- one Vietnamese coffee
- Finger food at local market.
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- entrance fees
- tips/gratuities for drivers and guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Cyclos & Markets tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 November 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 November 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Cyclos & Markets tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Cyclos & Markets tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Pick up at front entrance of the Central Post Office - 2 Cong Xa Paris St, District 1 (next to Notre Dame Cathedral).Meeting end point :
Ben Thanh Market.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.