- duration 4.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the 1000yearold university at the Temple of Literature
- Discover the soul of Vietnam in its traditional tea arts.
- Visit the socalled “Hanoi Hilton” – the infamous Hoa Lo Prison that housed POWs during the Vietnam War
- Stroll along the legendary Sword Lake to admire the reflections of its stunning bridge and Ngoc Son temple
Just arrived in Hanoi? Need an introduction to this buzzing city? Leaving soon and haven't seen any of the highlights yet? Never fear, join this Hanoi tour which covers the historic hot spots, must-see monument, and special spaces that you'd kick yourself for missing and see them all in the early morning to beat those crowds!
Dive into the sights, sounds, and smells of our bustling city on our Hanoi city tour, a sure way to cross off some of the major Hanoi highlights.
Start the city tour with a visit to the Temple of Literature. Originally built in honour of Confucius by King Ly Thai Thong in 1070, a university was added to the grounds six years later. The university provided education to the royal family and children of the aristocracy or "mandarins". The University remained here until King Gia Long moved the country’s administrative capital from Hanoi to Hue at the beginning of the 19th century.
Drop into a traditional teahouse to taste some of the best Vietnamese flavored green teas, and listen to thousand-year-old stories explaining the significance of tea leaves to local cultures. Tea is even better when served with some authentic snacks such as sweetened lotus seeds and green bean cake.
Continuing on our Hanoi tour, we’ll head to the Hoa Lo Prison Museum. Used by French Colonists for political prisoners till 1954 and later by North Vietnam for American POWs, the prison complex was sarcastically nicknamed the “Hanoi Hilton” by American pilots during Vietnam War (1954-1975). Famous ex-prisoners of war include Pete Peterson (the first US ambassador to a unified Vietnam in 1995), and US Senator John McCain.
Our next stop will be the largest and oldest church in Hanoi. St Joseph’s Cathedral was built in 1886 with an architectural style often compared to the Notre Dame de Paris, this Gothic Revival church is not only a religious site, but is also a popular photoshoot backdrop for local teenagers.
We’ll continue to the heart of Hanoi - the Hoan Kiem Lake, with its magnificent The Huc Bridge and Ngoc Son Temple. Experience the spiritual harmony of different religions coexisting in the same place. We then stop for lunch for a traditional bowl of Pho before ending the tour, which is definitely a must-do while you're in Vietnam.
You may then continue your own exploration of the area or our tour guide will assist you in getting a taxi back to your hotel.
- Traditional noodle Pho for lunch.&Nbsp;
- one-way transportation
- Local English speaking guide
- Temple of Literature ticket
- Hoa Lo Prison ticket
- Vietnamese green tea with green bean cake
- Ngoc Son Temple entrance fees
- Items of a personal nature
- tips / gratuities for driver or guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Crowd-free Hanoi: Morning Highlights tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 21 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 21 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Crowd-free Hanoi: Morning Highlights tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Crowd-free Hanoi: Morning Highlights tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Front entrance of the Hanoi Opera House, 1 Trang Tien Street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi at 8.00 Am.Meeting end point :
Ngoc Son Temple, Hoan Kiem lake.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.