- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- Day of the Dead Festival
- An indepth exploration of the highlights of the Mayan world
- Guided visits to the Mayan sites of Palenque, Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Tulum, Tikal and Xunantunich
- Colourful colonial cities of Antigua, San Cristobal de las Casas, Campeche and Merida
The Mayans forged a powerful and mysterious empire across southern Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. Following ‘La Ruta Maya’ we explore the hidden treasures of this region - magnificent cities, pyramids and temples. These incredible architectural feats have captivated historians since their discovery. The ancient Mayan civilisation is also apparent in the customs, language and dress of the Indian towns and villages we pass through. The Mexican Day of the Dead celebration is possibly the most vibrant and colourful tribute to human mortality there is. Citizens pay tribute to the dead, especially close relatives, visiting graves and congregating round the stones to lay edible offerings at the headstones alongside beautiful golden mounds of marigolds, the Flor de Muerto (flower of the dead). Spanning three countries, we discover lively colonial towns, active volcanoes and the palm-fringed Caye Caulker, a paradise for snorkelling and diving, along with experiencing Day of the Dead festivities.
Day 1: Start Guatemala City
Day 2: Fly from Guatemala City to Flores; Visit Tikal.
Day 3: To Belize City via Xunantunich; Boat to Caye Caulker.
Day 4: Free day.
Day 5: To Belize city; transfer to Tulum.
Day 6: Visit Tulum ruins; swim in a cenote; free afternoon.
Day 7: Visit Chichen Itza; to Merida.
Day 8: Uxmal and Campeche
Day 9: Drive to Palenque and guided tour.
Day 10: Visit Agua Azul Waterfall; to San Cristobal.
Day 11: Day of the Dead festivities.
Day 12: Explore San Cristobal de las Casas and nearby villages.
Day 13: To Panajachel.
Day 14: Boat trip on Lake Atitlan.
Day 15: Solola Market; Antigua.
Day 16: The trip ends after breakfast in Antigua for land only passengers. Those on
the group flights will be transferred to Guatemala City Airport for their
- 15 nights in a mixture of standard and comfortable hotels, all with en suite facilities , All accommodation
- Travel by private minibus, boat and internal flight
- All transport and listed activities
- Several long drives
- Reverse itinerary departure available (AUX)
- Non Festival departure available (AUR)
- Tour leader throughout
- Any international flights to/from Guatemala City are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this La Ruta Maya - Day of the Dead Festival Departure - Reverse tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this La Ruta Maya - Day of the Dead Festival Departure - Reverse tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 0 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure. For any departures within 20 April 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
La Ruta Maya - Day of the Dead Festival Departure - Reverse tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this La Ruta Maya - Day of the Dead Festival Departure - Reverse tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.