- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Discovering the Mountains & Valleys of the Alpujarras
- Walking the Beautiful Southern Fringes of the Sierra Nevada
- Follow the Ancient Byways of Rural Spain
- Whitewashed Villages and Moorish Heritage
Discover the mountains and valleys of the Alpujarras on foot and walk in the Sierra Nevada. On this tour we concentrate on the more remote and unspoilt sector of the Alpujarras east of Trevelez. We believe the character and charm of villages such as Berchules, Yegen and Mairena compare favourably with more accessible, and consequently more visited, places such as Pampaneira, Capileira and Orgiva. The countryside is still typical of the Alpujarras: compact villages of flat-roofed, whitewashed houses perch on terraces or cling to the steep southern slopes of the Sierra Nevada, commanding extensive views across to the Sierra de Gador and the Mediterranean Costas beyond; each village is fed by and depends on Acequias, long channels constructed long ago by the Moors to bring clean fresh water from springs far away up in the mountains. The acequias are (for the most part) still carefully maintained by the village authorities. Above the acequias the landscape is parched and brown in summer (except where there are patches of oak or pine woodland); below the acequias the irrigated terraces are intensively cultivated and dotted with vast and spreading chestnut trees. As you walk the Camino Real (Royal Trail) linking the villages of the eastern Alpujarras you may be able in season to pick nuts, figs or mulberries from wayside trees. Another fruit crop widely cultivated in this area are autumn raspberries. There are opportunities to walk up peaks of the Sierra Nevada massif such as Penabon and Morron (2756). This leisurely self-guided walking tour makes use of 3 centres, so you don't move on each day; but when you do your luggage is transported so you walk light.
Day 1 : Arrive Mairena
Day 2 : Mairena to Yegen 12 km/7.5 miles, 3.5 - 4 h
Day 3 : Yegen to Berchules, 13 km /8 miles, 4.5 h (1350m)
Day 4 : Circular walk, 2.5-3 h
Day 5 : Berchules to Trevelez 13.5 km/8.3 miles, 4.5 - 5 h (1550m)
Day 6 : Day walks, return to Mairena
Day 7 : Walking Options around Mairena
Day 8 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 7 nights accommodation in hotels and pensions on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- 7 breakfasts, 3 picnic lunches, 4 dinners
- Transfer between Mairena and Granada or Almeria
- Luggage transfer
- Information pack including route notes & maps
- Emergency hotline
- 3 dinners, lunches (unless specified) & beverages
- Entrance fees
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 38+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Hiking in Hidden Andalucia tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 325 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure. For any departures within 26 April 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Hiking in Hidden Andalucia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Hiking in Hidden Andalucia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.