- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Exploring Moorish villages with steep, narrow lanes which cling to the mountainside
- Walking in beautiful surroundings at high elevations with sweeping views
- Discovering the fascinating remains of times gone by, including ancient acequias and Moorish threshing circles
- Being surrounded by diverse Mediterranean vegetation with the snowy peaks of Sierra Nevada as a backdrop
An exhilarating walk in the Alpujarras, through Moorish villages and stunning mountain landscapes. From the intriguing city of Granada to the lofty heights of the Alpujarras, the focus is firmly on culture and mountain landscapes. Small and surprisingly cosmopolitan, Granada offers a bizarre mixture of ancient history and modern living. There will be time to visit the Alhambra, the spectacular Moorish monument which is a must-see. After two nights in the city, you will move up into the mountains, to the Alpujarras. This beautiful area still reflects its Moorish origins, recalling times when groups of Moors inhabited these hills resisting the Christian Reconquest. In this fascinating historical context, the Alpujarras' high elevation makes for an ideal alpine experience with the snowy peaks of Sierra Nevada, as a backdrop. All sorts of crops thrive in the Mediterranean climate: olive orchards, orange and lemon groves, almonds, figs and grapes. Amidst this abundance you will enjoy dramatic views from the enchanting white-washed villages as you walk among terraced fields and along the irrigation channels which survive from the Moorish era.
Day 1 : Arrive Granada
Day 2 : In Granada, explore the Alhambra
Day 3 : Local bus to Capileira (early) then circular walk through the Río Poqueira Valley (3 or 5.5hrs)
Day 4 : Walk through villages and forests to Taha de Pitres then Portugos (5hrs)
Day 5 : Ascend to the highest village in the Alpujarras, Trevélez (7hrs)
Day 6 : Choice of walks from Trevélez including a short walk along the Camino de Granada (3.5-8hrs)
Day 7 : Ascend El Portichuelo and continue to Bérchules (5.5hrs)
Day 8 : Walk through the Río Grande valley, return to Granada by local bus, trip concludes
- 7 nights accommodation in 2-3 star hotels and charming guesthouses on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- Information pack including route notes and maps per room
- 7 breakfasts, 5 dinners
- Luggage transfers on days 4, 5 and 7 (you will need to take your luggage with you on the bus from Granada to Capileira on day 3, and from Berchules to Granada on day 8)
- Emergency hotline
- Lunches daily, 2 dinners and drinks
- Travel to and from Granada, and local transport including from Granada to Capileira and from Berchules to Granada
- Entrance fees
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 28+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Granada and the Alpujarras tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 325 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure. For any departures within 26 April 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Granada and the Alpujarras tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Granada and the Alpujarras tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.