- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 5 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Discover a lesserseen side of Turkey, taking the backroads from Cappadocia to the eastern province of Malatya to experience local life and local flavours.
- Enjoy a homestay experience in Kahta, helping out in the fields or the kitchen, cooking with the family and enjoying village life.
- Spend a day exploring the ancient city of Darende, wandering through a 300yearold bazaar and sampling famous local delicacies like dried apricot.
- Watch the sun set over the massive stone heads that sit atop Mt Nemrut, which were once part of the elaborate necropolis built by King Antiochus I.
Set out on a five-day Lonely Planet Experience through Turkey, packed full of ancient monuments and local moments, and centred around a visit to the summit of sacred Mt Nemrut. Wander around a 300-year-old bazaar in Darende, stay with a local family in a small rural village, watch the sun set over the giant stone heads scattered around the mountaintop tomb of King Antiochus I, then stroll the lively streets of Istanbul with your local leader and let them show you where to get the best islak burger in town. This trip is designed so that even if you’re short on time, you can explore the backroads of Turkey and uncover all the good stuff.
- Hotel (2 nights), Pension (1 night), Homestay (1 night)
- 4 Breakfast, 1 Dinner
- Private Bus , Plane
- Mt Nemrut - Mt Nemrut guided visit
- Any international flights to Goreme and from Istanbul are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Turkey Backroads tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 14+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Turkey Backroads tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 23 days before departure. For any departures within 17 October 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Turkey Backroads tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Turkey Backroads tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
- This is a Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid, made for travellers who value their independence but also want the benefit of a local leader and a group of like-minded travellers. The itinerary has a mix of included activities and free time when your leader will offer suggestions. Please budget spending money for optional activities you want to partake in.
- The homestay is a wonderful opportunity to witness everyday rural life and includes a home-cooked dinner. Facilities are simple and no frills, including beds that are comfortable mattresses on the floor. You may be surprised by how much you enjoy the simple life.
- Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. People of all genders are required to dress very conservatively during the village homestay. Women are required to wear a ankle-length skirt and men must wear ankle-length trousers. Alcohol will not be available for purchase or consumption here.
- Don’t let the heat keep you from exploring the world! Summer temperatures can be very high in July and August, though the east will be cooler than the city.
- You’ll need your walking shoes, a hat, some sunscreen and a day pack to explore Mt Nemrut.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Food and dietary requirements
Climate and seasonal
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers