Independent trekking in Nepal

Posted by in Trekking in Nepal 2014-05-21 02:28:03


I want to go trekking to Nepal this September with a friend but we want to explore the less-developed areas. We will be carrying our own equipment (tent, food, stove, etc) so we are not restricted to trails with lodges/teahouses on the way. Is this a popular form of trekking in Nepal? Are there any permits/registration formalities for this kind of trekking? Would you recommend any particular treks or areas of Nepal?

Any information will be very much appreciated.

thanks a lot,

2 replies

    Displaying 1-2 of 2 result(s).
  • Unique Adventure International Pvt Ltd
    Hi there,

    As you are interested to explore the less developed areas in the Himalaya trekking, we would recommend you to do one of these treks: Tsum Valley, Dolpo, Kanchenjungha, Makalu, High passes such as Sherpani Col, Tashi Lapcha La, Jumla Rara Trek etc. The popular form of trekking in Nepal is either staying in teahouses where available, home stay type or camping. Most of the remote treks or any treks in Nepal required permits / registration formalities (National Park or Conservation Area or Special Permit or TIMS).

  • Axel
    Hi Jed, just to add:

    - as Unique Adventure International correctly asserts below the far most common form of trekking in Nepal is teahouse trekking, and not DIY camping.

    - in terms of the areas listed below please note that many of these are so-called "restricted trekking areas" which requires at least that you get a "group permit" which means that a trekking agency will have to arrange that and perhaps also allocate one of their guides, in order for you to legally do trekking in nepal (I am not 100% sure on the latter part with guide).

    Above being said, despite DIY trekking in Nepal is not used a lot the country offers a lot of cool nature, spots, treks and trails which are awesome to explore. Just make sure that you can get help in case of accidents as many of the more remote areas are indeed, really remote!

    Hope it was helpful.

Back to top