- Marvel at views from the summit of Margherita Peak (5109m)
- Trek in the UNESCO World Heritage listed Rwenzori Mountains, a source of the River Nile
- Discover remote alpine valleys and glacial landscapes
- Experience pristine tropical rainforests
- Trek through Giant Lobelia forests along the remote Kilembe Trail
- Delight in the diverse flora of the region
- Show more
An incredible trek up Africa's third highest peak. The Rwenzori Mountains, or the Mountains of the Moon, are easily Africa's best kept secret. Rarely visited and isolated, they contain much of Africa's permanent ice and the most varied mountain scenery as we climb from tropical rainforest, through alpine valleys to the glaciers. Our trek in the Rwenzori includes a challenging ascent on Margherita (5109m), Africa's 3rd highest mountain. This is a demanding ascent with muddy conditions and variable weather almost guaranteed. The real beauty of the trip is the ascent up the Kilembe route where the diverse flora in the forests and valleys includes giant heather, lobelia, groundsels and exuberant ferns. Under the watchful eye of our experienced mountain guides, we attempt the final ascent up to the summit of Margherita, which will require us to rope up and use crampons. However scaling the actual peak is more of a hard scramble than a climb and the exhilaration of reaching the top is enormous, as you look across Albert Peak to the Congo then east across the chain of the Rwenzori Mountains.
Day 1 : Join Entebbe Airport, transfer to Kampala
Day 2 : Drive to Fort Portal, and preparation
Day 3 : Transfer from Fort Portal to Kilembe by road (approx 2 hrs drive), trek to Sine Camp (2596m, 9.5 km, approx 5 - 7 hrs)
Day 4 : Trek to Mutinda Camp via Kamusoni Valley (3688m, 8 km, approx 4 - 5 hrs)
Day 5 : Trek to Bugata Camp (Camp 3) (4062m, 5 km, approx 4 - 5 hrs)
Day 6 : To Hunwick's Camp (Camp 4) via Bamwanjara Pass (3974m, 6km, approx 5 - 6 hrs)
Day 7 : via Scott Elliott Pass to Margherita Camp (Camp 5) (4460m, 4km, approx 3 - 5 hrs)
Day 8 : Summit Margherita Peak 5109m, descend to Hunwick's Camp (3974m, 7km, approx 11 - 13 hrs)
Day 9 : Descend to Bugata Camp (Camp 3) (4062m, 6 km, approx 5 - 6 hrs)
Day 10 : Descend to Kiharo Camp (3518m, 7 km, approx 4 - 6 hrs)
Day 11 : To Samalira Camp (3170m, 7.5 km, 4 - 6 hrs)
Day 12 : Final day of trekking (8.6 km, approx 3 - 4 hrs), return to Fort Portal (approx 2 hrs drive)
Day 13 : Drive to Kampala, trip concludes
- 3 nights in good quality hotels on a twinshare basis
- 12 breakfasts, 11 lunches and 10 dinners
- Airport transfers (day 1 and 13 only)
- Private transport
- English speaking local guide *Rwenzori Mountain Guide and park ranger
- Experienced local guides, cook and camp crew
- 9 nights fully supported camping in permanent camps on a multishare basis with camp bed and mattress
- Group camping equipment (sleeping bag not included)
- Group climbing gear (includes ropes, crampons, harness and ice axe)
- Porters to carry personal and group equipment
- Rwenzori trekking permits and mountain rescue fees valued at US$350
- international flights
- airport and departure taxes
- travel insurance (must include trekking above 3900 metres; and mountaineering/Global Rescue insurance for Summit Day only)
- sleeping bags
- aerated and alcoholic drinks
- bottled water
- items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Save US$ 195 today.
- Earn US$ 130+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Mountains of the Moon tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 02 September 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 02 September 2022, a deposit of 491 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Mountains of the Moon tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Mountains of the Moon tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Rigorous hygiene safety measures will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Guides are trained in our COVID-19 response plan that has been developed in line with state government medical provisions.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated atleast 14 days prior to departure.