- duration 6 days
- tour type Private
- tour_type Private tour
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 14+ years old
- age_requirement 14+ years old
- Enjoy sweeping views of the Drakenberg Amphitheatre
- See Tugela Falls — the secondhighest waterfall in the world
- Experience pristine, untouched wilderness
- Cross the Rwanqwa Pass, located at an altitude of 3218m
Regarded as one of the the world's top 10 treks, this journey starts in the northern Drakensberg near Sentinel Peak and the Amphitheatre, then winds along a spectacular mountainous landscape towards Cathedral Peak. Hike to the top of the Drakensberg escarpment on the first day before traversing the distance from Tugela Falls to the Stimela Ridge on the second day. Cross the Rwanqwa Pass, the highest point of the trek (3218m), on the third day. Your journey comes to an end in Didima Lodge on the sixth day of the trip.
The Drakensberg escarpment divides South Africa and Lesotho. As you trek southward, the lowlands of KwaZulu are visible below the colossal Drakensberg peaks. An unusual experience, hiking in the high Berg takes place on top of the mountains and often above the clouds.
Enjoy breathtaking views of jagged peaks and massive cliffs that form the escarpment each day of the trip. Notice how the jagged ridges form a contrast with the rolling highland meadows and streams of Lesotho below. For more about this trip, please scroll down to the itinerary section.
Day 1: Cathedral Peak - Amphitheater Plateau
Day 2: Tugela Falls - Stimela Ridge
Day 3: Stimela Ridge - Orange River Plateau
Day 4: Orange River - Kwakwatsi River
Day 5: Kwakwatsi River - Mhlambonja River
Day 6: Mhlambonja - Didima Lodge
- Professional, qualified mountain guide
- All meals from lunch on day 1 to lunch on day 6
- General camping gear like stoves, cups, plates, utensils and 3-season mountain tents
- 1 night bed and breakfast at a mountain lodge rest in camps along the route
- Transfer from Didima Lodge to the trailhead
- National Park fees
- Personal camping gear and items on the gear list
- Travel/medical insurance
- Pickup and drop off. Transport to and from Drakensberg
- Dinner and beverages at the mountain lodge
- Anything not mentioned on the itinerary or the 'What's Included' section
- Earn US$ 40+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
10% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationRECOMMENDED GEAR LIST • Please remember to leave space in your backpack for cooking gear, food, utensils and first aid, which will be shared between the group members. • Expect to carry up to 15kg in your backpack, including your personal gear • Porterage is available at an additional cost. In this case you will only need to carry a day pack with your personal belongings. Porters will carry a maximum of 15kg of gear per person. ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS We will not proceed with the trek unless you have all of the items below. • A backpack, minimum 60 liters, with a waist belt. ** Available for hire, see below • A light-weight mountaineering tent ** Supplied • A sleeping bag, sub-zero to 8 recommended (it can get cold even in summer). ** Available for hire, see below • A sleeping mat with foam rubber ** Supplied • A waterproof outer shell • Light-weight, waterproof rain pants • Hiking boots & socks ESSENTIALS • Water bottle 1 – 1.5 liters • Changes of clothing- layering is best with a good fleece for warmth • Gloves • Beanie/ Balaclava • Towel • Sun block • Sun glasses • Sun hat/ Cap • Toiletries (eco friendly) • Toilet paper • Torch + batteries, preferably headlamp OPTIONAL • Personal first aid, eg plasters, deep heat, headache tablets, medication etc • Personal Energy sweets and drinks • Hiking staff • Camera AVAILABLE FOR RENTAL • Sleeping bag(-8 C, 1,4kg) with liner • Backpack