The Scandinavian country of Denmark has given us “hygge”; a lifestyle of cosiness, intimacy and living the moment that can be found around every Danish corner. Whether you’re visiting the vibrant city of Copenhagen or are hopping back and forth between Denmark’s three landmasses, Jutland and the islands of Zealand and Funen, you are sure to find out why Denmark is considered to be the happiest country in the world.
- Explore the world of Hans Christian Andersen, the most famous fairy tale author of all time, at his museum in Odense
- Visit the Little Mermaid on her coastal perch in Langelinie
- Dive into the world of Danish royalty with visits to Amalienborg and Christiansborg Palace
- Play all day at Tivoli, the world’s oldest amusement park
- Snap an iconic photo of the colourful houses lining the Nyhavn district of Copenhagen
- Head to Jutland for gorgeous scenery of fjords, dense forests and sandy (but windy) beaches
- See a moated castle of your childhood dreams at Egeskov Castle on the island of Funen
- Cycling is extremely popular in Denmark. Most Danes own a bicycle, and Copenhagen has been designed to be one of the most cycle-friendly cities in the world. Be sure to rent a bicycle for a true Danish experience.
- As part of hygge, dinner time is a true celebration in Denmark. If dining with locals, be prepared for long mealtimes and wait for the host’s traditional toast of ‘skol’ before eating.
- While Danes may seem very private at first, they are generally very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with the locals!
- To make the most of your trip to Denmark, be sure to see what the country has to offer beyond its capital. Visit other Danish cities and explore its beautiful scenery.
- If you find yourself in Denmark on a sunny day, head to the beach! With over 7,000km of coastline, Denmark has plenty of sandy beaches ready to be explored.
Denmark has seasonal weather so please do check up on best time to visit Denmark before planning your tour. And if you’re still hunting for more things to do and places to explore in Denmark, do check out our Denmark Travel Guide for more information.