- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 13 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Take a morning cruise by pirogue into the mangrovelined wetlands of the Djoudj National Bird Sanctuary, keeping a special eye out for pelicans, purple herons and cormorants.
- Watch as thousands of birds of all shapes, sizes and varieties fill the dusk sky above the Saloum Delta during a nightly migration known as ‘putting the birds to sleep.’
- Contemplate the mystery of the ancient laterite slabs that make up the Wassu Stone Circle during a visit to the archaeological site known as West Africa’s Stonehenge.
- Look out for crocodiles, hippos and monkeys during a cruise around the Baboon Islands. You might even be lucky enough to spot the chimpanzees in their island sanctuary.
Discover wildlife-rich wetlands, desert dunes, delicate French colonial architecture and sleepy coastal villages during this 13-day Expedition through Senegal and The Gambia. See abundant, colourful bird life. Ponder the remnants and legacy of the transatlantic slave trade. Search for hippos and chimpanzees while you cruise on pirogues. Watch the sunrise over undulating orange dunes in the Lompoul desert. Visit four entries on the World Heritage list. Relax on the golden sands that line the coast. This trip will open your eyes to the beauty and natural splendour of two countries on the edge of West Africa.
Ile de Goree
Lompoul Desert Camp
Djoudj National Park / St Louis
- Hotel (5 nights), Nomadic Tent (1 night), Lodge (3 nights), Basic Hotel (3 nights)
- 12 Breakfasts, 1 Dinner
- Private Vehicle , Motorised Pirogue , Boat , Ferry
- An expert tour leader
- Ile de Goree - Walking Tour
- Dakar - City Tour
- Djoudj National Park - Pirogue Bird Watching
- Saint-Louis - Walking Tour
- Toubakouta - Saloum Delta Boat Trip
- Kuntaur - Wassu Stone Circle
- Kuntaur - Gambia River Boat Safari
- Georgetown - Walking Tour
- Any international flights to/from Dakar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Senegal & The Gambia Expedition tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 80+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Senegal & The Gambia Expedition tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 February 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Senegal & The Gambia Expedition tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Senegal & The Gambia Expedition tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This is an expedition trip and is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
- This itinerary includes one night in a nomadic tent in Lompoul and 2 nights at a basic hotel in Kuntaur. These accommodations are below the usual Intrepid Original standard however we believe the experience will make up for any lack of comfort.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Food and dietary requirements
Your fellow travellers