- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 7+ years old
- max group size 44
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Visit the Saloum Delta, a UNESCO liste Biosphere reserve and important birding area
- Visit Kunta Kinteh, the island named after the character in Roots and a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site
- Observe chimpanzees from a motor pirogue on Baboon Island
- Look out for dolphins in the Gambia River estuary
See a different side of West Africa on this spectacular adventure cruise from Senegal down into The Gambia. Explore the wild realm of the Saloum Delta, where marine turtles, crocodiles and manatees lurk. Sail to Banjul and to former St James Island to uncover the story of Kunta Kinteh. Head on up to Tendaba village, where wildlife-filled parks and wetlands are just a safari-truck or motor-pirogue ride away. Continue to Kuntaur for the chance to get up close to chimpanzees, experience lively local culture and music, visit the Wassu Stone Circles and observe local fishing-village life. Drop anchor in Banjul for a kora performance, before returning to Dakar via the dolphin-filled Gambia estuary and the Atlantic Ocean. Along the way, discover the unique traditions and lively rhythms that make West Africa such a fascinating cultural tapestry, with optional land excursions from your plush base, the Harmony V.
The duration, timings etc. was appropriate and our guide was great!”
Board in Dakar, Senegal
Saloum Delta, Djiffer, Senegal - Banjul, The Gambia
Banjul - Abuko Nature Reserves - Tendaba, The Gambia
Tendaba, The Gambia
Kuntaur (Gambia River) The Gambia
Kuntaur - Kaur, The Gambia
Kunta Kinteh - Banjul, The Gambia
Disembark in Dakar, Senegal
- Small Cruise Ship, 7 nights
- 7 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 7 Dinners
- Small Cruise Ship
- Any international flights to/from Dakar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Cruising the Rivers of West Africa (Ex Dakar) tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 82+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cruising the Rivers of West Africa (Ex Dakar) tour. You can cancel the tour up to 23 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 22 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 10 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 10 July 2021, a deposit of 20% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 22 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cruising the Rivers of West Africa (Ex Dakar) tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cruising the Rivers of West Africa (Ex Dakar) tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip is operated by our partners at Variety Cruises and is best suited to independent travellers who want flexibility from their itinerary. On Variety Cruises, all shore excursions are optional, so you don’t have to pay for an activity you’re not interested in. Trips operated by Variety begin at port, do not include tips and require solo travellers to pay a mandatory single supplement.
- This is a small ship adventure cruise, which means you’ll be sailing on a yacht with 30–50 other people. The boat is spacious and comfortable, but it focuses more on the destination than on-board activities. Instead of a casino, we’ve got board games and a good book. There’s also no formal dress code to worry about. Wi-Fi is available for a small charge.
- Our ship moves under engine power, rather than sailing, so all cabins will experience light engine noise when the ship is moving (and occasionally when we drop anchor). It’s probably worth packing earplugs if you’re a light sleeper.
- Onshore activities and excursions will involve a bit of walking. You’ll be visiting ancient sites and historical places, and at times you may have to cross cobbled streets and uneven ground, sometimes in hot conditions. If you have any concerns, please speak to your group leader before taking part.
- If you’re concerned about seasickness, there are seasickness tablets on-board. The ship will experience some roll and pitch in choppy conditions, however all of our ships come equipped with stabilisers to minimise movement. Most of our departures run in peak season, when the seas are calmer. Your crew will do all they can to minimise any discomfort.
- There are no lifts (elevators) on-board our ships, so you’ll have to navigate a few steep flights of stairs. Handrails are always available.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Food and dietary requirements
Your fellow travellers