- duration 14 days
- tour type Small group Request as private
- age requirement 16-95 yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-7896
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Enjoy a remote full-service camping trek through the beautiful Vilcabamba range
- Connect the Salkantay Trail and classic Inca Trail for the ultimate inca trail trek
- Marvel at Mount Salkantay and its glaciers
- Experience two unique visits to Machu Picchu for photos and fully guided exploration
- Spend four nights in Cuzco, the old Inca capital
- Explore the fortresses and markets of the Sacred Valley
- Show more
This ultimate Inca Trail trek spends four days trekking deep in the majestic Vilcabamba mountain range before joining the classic Inca Trail for the approach to Machu Picchu. This high route skirts many of the great peaks and passes close to Mount Salkantay (20,574ft/6,271m) and its creaking glaciers. The trek continues through remote villages and crosses the spectacular Inca Chiriasqa Pass to finally join the classic Inca Trail before finishing at the famous Inti Punku (Sun Gate). This trek also allows plenty of time to explore the Inca temples and fortresses of Cuzco and the Sacred Valley.
Our classic Inca Trail trip is designed to give you more time to enjoy the trail by arriving to Machu Picchu in the afternoon for iconic photos and overnight in Aguas Calientes. We return the next morning, fresh and well rested, for our in-depth tour of Machu Picchu and train back to Cuzco.
Day 1: Start Cuzco; afternoon city tour
Day 2: Full-day walking tour of nearby ruins including Tambomachay and Sacsayhuaman
Day 3: Free day in Cuzco
Day 4: Drive to Marcocasa; trek to camp at Soraypampa
Day 5: Optional walk to Humantay Lagoon and climb up to base of Salkantay
Day 6: Cross Inca Chiriasqa Pass and follow glaciated valley to Pampa Cahuana
Day 7: Follow river to camp at Huayllabamba
Day 8: Join Inca Trail and summit Dead Woman's Pass
Day 9: Over Runquracay Pass to the ruins of Sayacmarca and Phuyupatamarca
Day 10: Walk down Inca steps to Wiñay Wayna and Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate
Day 11: Guided tour of Machu Picchu; train to Sacred Valley
Day 12: Explore Ollantaytambo and Pisac; return to Cuzco
Day 13: Free day in Cuzco
Day 14: End Cuzco
- Seven nights in hotels and six nights of full-service camping
- All breakfasts, eight lunches and six dinners
- All transport and listed activities
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Tour leader throughout
- Full porterage throughout trek
- Exodus kitbag
- Inflatable sleeping mat while camping
- Travel insurance
- Single accommodation (available on request)
- Visas or vaccinations
- Sleeping bag (hire locally from US$35)
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Earn US$ 135+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this The Salkantay Trek tour. You can cancel the tour up to 93 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 92 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 24 May 2024, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 24 May 2024, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 92 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
The Salkantay Trek tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this The Salkantay Trek tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Group sizes are kept small to maintain a low risk ‘small group bubble’, with an average of 10 guests in each group.
- Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- All travellers will be required to be fully vaccinated no less than two weeks prior to travel.