- duration 5 days
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 18+ years old
- A challenging yet worthwhile trek to Machu Picchu
- Stay 2 nights in luxurious and sustainable Ecocamps
- Cross through snowy high passes
- Enjoy incredible views of the Andean peaks
Salkantay has been dubbed the most spectacular peak in the Peruvian Andes. On this challenging trip, you’ll trek in the shadows of this impressive mountain, interact with its inhabitants and explore its forgotten ruins. Catch the train to Aguas Calientes for an early-morning visit to Machu Picchu. You'll spend two nights in incredible, sustainable Ecocamps with delicious meals for an ultimate travel experience.
Day 1: Cuzco, Peru (Day 1: Cuzco, Peru)
Day 2: Challhuay, Peru (Day 2: Challhuay, Peru)
Day 3: Santa Teresa, Peru (Day 3: Santa Teresa, Peru)
Day 4: Aguas Calientes, Peru (Day 4: Aguas Calientes, Peru)
Day 5: Cuzco, Peru (Day 5: Cuzco, Peru)
- 2 Nights accommodation in eco-dome and 2 Nights in 3 star hotels
- 4 Breakfast(s)
- 4 Lunch(es)
- 4 Dinner(s)
- Accommodation Pick-Up, Bus & Train
- Cuzco accommodation pick-up transfer to Challacancha
- Playa Sahuayaco to Santa Teresa
- Roundtrip bus ticket to Machu Picchu
- Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- OIllantaytambo to Cuzco
- Active Adventure
- 5-Day Salkantay Trek
- Machu Picchu Visit
- English/Spanish speaking guide
- Fees & Extra Support
- Machu Picchu entrance
- Horses and horseman to carry equipment
- Entrance to Salkantay and Humantay
- Entrance to thermal waters Santa Teresa
- Breakfast on day 1 and lunch on day 5
- Travel Insurance
- Trekking poles
- Roundtrip transportation to thermal waters in Santa Teresa
- Optional gratuities
- Bookmundi is partner with Bamba . You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Save US$ 70 when booking on Bookmundi.
- Save +US$ 46 in Travel Credits on your next booking.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit of 396 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 89 days before departure. For any departures within 19 February 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Salkantay Eco-Dome Trek to Machu Picchu 5D/4N tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Salkantay Eco-Dome Trek to Machu Picchu 5D/4N tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Other Practical Information
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONMEALS ON TREK: All of our cooks pride themselves on their delicious specialty menus with the freshest local ingredients available with vegetarian option for every meal (please advise at least 2 days prior to departure).
TREK ACCOMMODATION: During the trek single travelers will share a tent with another traveler of the same sex & couples will have a tent to themselves.
SUGGESTED PACKING LIST: Bring or Rent in Cuzco: hiking poles, rain pants, rain poncho, trekking boots, sandals, warm socks, sweater, thermals, hat, gloves, sun hat, sun block, sun glasses, flashlight/torch, camera, extra batteries and memory card (there is limited to no electricity available during the trek), waterproof bags for your camera, hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit, water bottle. Bring extra cash for snacks, water, gatorade which doubles or triples in price along the trail.
ESSENTIALS: Original passport, visa (if applicable), insurance card and personal medications.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This hike is demanding, it’s important to be in good physical condition. The Inca Trail elevation changes make the hike strenuous as there are three passes during the hike and you will have 1950 meters of uphill and 2250 meters of descent.
BRIEF HISTORY OF MACHU PICCHU & ADVICE: Machu Picchu was (relatively recently) "discovered" by American historian, Hiram Bingham, in 1911 while searching for the legendary "lost city of the Incas". Hiram Bingham and his local guides stumbled across the site which was then covered in thick vegetation which was later cleared revealing the magical mountain-top archaeological site and opening up the possibility for archaeologists to conduct research on the site by 1915. Whether arriving via Inca Trail or entering from Aguas Calientes don't miss the excellent photo opportunities from the following spots: Hut of the Caretaker of the Funerary Rock (a restored building with a thatched roof), Sacred Plaza with views of the Cordillera Vilcabamba in the distance and Rio Urubamba below. Take a short walk out to the Inca Drawbridge (30 minutes) and Inti Punku (45 - 60 minutes) for great views of the site as dawn breaks and the clouds lift over Machu Picchu.
There is a mandatory pre-departure briefing at our Cuzco Headquarters one day prior to departure at 5pm, 6pm or 7pm depending on your trek. You will receive detailed information on your excursion, a list of what to bring and confirm your departure details.
Please make sure to check-in with your passport before your pre-departure briefing. We encourage our travellers to check-in at our offices a couple of hours before or any day prior to the briefing , that way we can give everybody personal attention and information regarding booking extras, rental equipment or questions in general.
Time schedule for meetings will be:
- Inca Trail and Lares 6pm
- Salkantay, Inca Quarry, Machu Picchu Jungle, Ausangate, Choquequirao 7pm
- Rainbow Mountain, Machu Picchu by Train, Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Full Day 5pm
Bamba Experience is located at:
Calle Matara 242, Second Floor. Cuzco, Peru
Hours of Operation: 10:00-14:00 and 16:00-20:00 hrs Daily
Tel: +51 84 205234
Emergency Tels: +51 998 444933 Darwin, +51 952 272734 Freddy
**Travellers who booked their trip using one passport, then renewed or replaced it afterward, must carry the old passport they used to make the booking or a photocopy with them on the trip.**