- duration 4 days
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 3
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Maximum altitude 4650 meters
- Stay in remote campsites
- Visit Inca ruins
- Explore the Machu Picchu Citadel
- Huayna Picchu hike
The Ancascocha Trail in the Peruvian Andes is a remarkable trail that, unlike other more popular trails, remains off the beaten track and away from crowds. Yet don't be put off by its lesser known status.
Named by National Geographic as one of 20 dream hikes on the World Best Hikes list, this stunning trek takes you past ancient Inca ruins and through traditional Andean villages such as Chillipahua and the trail's namesake Ancascocha (3,700 m). Here you may briefly share the trail with farmers, shepherds and livestock tending to their daily lives far removed from the tourist crowds of Cusco.
Challenge yourself as you climb a number of big passes, including the highest point at the Huayanay Pass (4,650 m). The rewards for your efforts are staggering, with panoramic views across the Andes, cascading waterfalls, crystal blue lakes and the towering 6,266 m Apu Salkantay. At all times, your guide and crew will ensure that the pace is suitable for everyone in the group, taking breaks for rest and food whenever needed.
At the end of each of the first two days of hiking, you will arrive at camp to find your high-quality tent already pitched (complete with mattress and pillow), your gear in place, and your crew preparing a sumptuous dinner. After a night under the most incredible starlit skies, you will be woken right on time with a cup of steaming hot fresh coffee or tea, before sitting down for a nutritious and energizing breakfast. All you need for the day of hiking ahead.
On the third day, you will spend several hours hiking a portion of the Classic Inca Trail, to the sacred valley town of Ollantytambo. This is likely to be the first time you will see other hikers!
Taking the scenic train to Aguas Caliente you will have photo opportunities galore as the train cuts along the valley floor. Your final night will be spent in a comfortable hotel with a group dinner at an excellent local restaurant (drinks not included). Rising as early as you want, your itinerary concludes with a guided tour of Machu Picchu and a ticket to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountains (subject to availability). Witnessing this new wonder of the world is an incredible spectacle that will stay with you forever.
Finally, with your camera loaded with photos and your head full of incredible memories, you will take the train back to Cusco transfer back to your hotel.
Day 1: Cusco – Soqma – Rayan – Kuychiccasa Pass – Chancachuco
Day 2: Chancachuco Valley – Ancascocha – Huaynay Pass – Quesqa
Day 3: Quesqa Valley – Ollantaytambo
Day 4: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
- Pre-departure briefing at your hotel
- Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Soqma (start of trek)
- Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more)
- High quality, 4 person tent for every 2 people
- Inflatable mattress and pillow
- Kitchen tent
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Portable eco-friendly toilet and toilet tent
- Professional Chef and assistant chef
- Wranglers and horses to carry all equipment
- Horse to transport up to 8 kg of your personal gear
- Duffle bag for your personal gear
- Emergency horse (in case we need it!)
- Four breakfasts, three lunches, and three dinners
- Hot water for washing twice daily
- Daily morning boiled and cooled water to fill the water bottles.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
- Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Expedition train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Poroy or Ollantaytambo
- Private local van transportation from Poroy or Ollantaytambo to your Cusco hotel
- 1 night hotel accommodation in Aguas Calientes (double occupancy)
- Round trip bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Ticket for Huayna Picchu mountain or Machu Picchu mountain (depending on the availability)
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Trekking poles (can be rented from us)
- Day 4 lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Tips for the trek crew (tipping optional and guidelines provided)
- Travel/health/emergency insurance
- Earn US$ 24+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
40% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 60 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 60 days prior departure, but the 40% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 60 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 40% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 60 days prior departure. For any bookings within 60 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.