- Walking tour
- duration 23 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 10
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Summit Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous United States at 4418m
- Traverse the spectacular Sierra Mountain Range
- Cross numerous 3000m+ high mountain passes
- Challenge yourself with a full pack on a classic longdistance trail
A traverse of the stunning Sierra mountain range from Mt Whitney to Yosemite. The John Muir Trail is one of the finest hikes in North America. The route starts at Cottonwood Lakes, makes its way up to the high point of the lower forty-eight states, Mount Whitney (4418m), and continues some two hundred miles to Tuolumne in Yosemite National Park. We will need to carry everything for the trip, so carrying a full pack of around 20kg is usual. Food stocks are re-supplied at a number of stages making our packs lighter, but packing carefully is essential. We'll hike 10-24 km per day and we can expect the unexpected, so solid multi-day backpacking experience is essential. Along the way the trail climbs over 4000m passes, wanders beneath high alpine peaks and traverses beautiful meadows and forested river valleys. Over the course of the trip, we will have gained over 12,000m in ascents (averaging about 600m per day). The spectacular scenery is combined with the generally clement weather of California and warm (sometimes very hot) summer temperatures. This is truly a trip of a lifetime to be remembered for years to come. We realize that not everyone has 23 days to spare and so we also have options to complete the trail in segments over consecutive summers, please ask us for details.
*NOTE: Due to the recent popularity of the trail, permit restrictions have increased. In order to successfully secure permits and offer an exceptional experience, we are operating the trip in a northbound direction. To properly acclimatize, the trip is 1-2 days longer than it would be if operating southbound.
Day 1 : Join Bishop
Day 2-4 : Commence John Muir Trail at Cottonwood; hike to Crabtree Meadow.
Day 5 : Summit Mount Whitney
Day 6-8 : Hike to Rae Lakes via Forester Pass and Glen Pass
Day 9-13 : Rae Lakes to Big Pete Meadow
Day 14-16 : Hike to Marie Lake for resupply
Day 17-20 : Hike to Johnson Meadow for resupply
Day 21-22 : Hike to Tuolumne Meadows
Day 23 : Hike out and shuttle to Bishop or Mammoth Lakes
- 22 breakfasts, 22 lunches and 22 dinners
- Transfer from Mammoth Lakes to Bishop on day 1 of the trip & transfer back to Bishop or Mammoth Lakes on the last day of the trek (upon request)
- Professional certified mountain guide(s) with wilderness first aid certification. Max 5 hikers to 1 guide.
- Group equipment such as tents, food canisters, and water purification
- Porter or mule supported supply drops during the trip
- Contingency and emergency support, phone and radio
- First aid kit
- All necessary permits
- Flights and Airport taxes
- Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, and backpack
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, phone calls, postage, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Pre or post trip accommodation, or additional accommodation due to weather delays
- Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Guide gratuities
- Medical treatment and evacuation charges
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 155+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this John Muir Trail tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 June 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 June 2021, a deposit of 343 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
John Muir Trail tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this John Muir Trail tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.