- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- Ease into Sri Lankan life with a trip around the seaside town of Negombo
- Experience the vibrant spirit of the Negombo community
- Take a boat ride through the historic Hamilton Canal and spectacular Negombo lagoon
- Snap photos of the colourful fishing boats, mangrove forests, birds and marine creatures you’ll see along the way
Get ready for a relaxing yet fun-filled afternoon exploring the laid-back seaside town of Negombo, where you’ll get to experience local life both on and off the water. See the sights on foot and then get a totally new perspective of the area with a leisurely boat tour, all while soaking up some epic views and learning all about the history and culture of Negombo.
Despite its proximity to the hustle and bustle of Colombo, the laid-back coastal town of Negombo feels a world apart. Your Urban Adventures tour starts and ends here giving you the chance to experience the spirit of the Negombo community, as well as take a boat tour through the historic Hamilton (Dutch) Canal and spectacular Negombo lagoon.
Your tour will first take you to a colourful Hindu temple on Sea Street where your guide will explain some of the historic events that happened here. We’ll then continue to St. Mary’s church, a serene spot where the stained-glass windows and religious paintings covering the ceiling are humbling to witness - especially considering that the church dates back almost a century and a half.
Next, it’s time to experience local life with a walk through the bustling streets of Negombo town. We’ll stop for a cool drink at a local sweet shop before we meet our captain. This next part of the tour continues by boat, departing from the dock on the historic Hamilton Canal, cruising through town and the busy fishing harbor before entering Negombo lagoon.
During the ride, our captain will share stories of village life and history as we drift through the colourful landscape of fishing boats, mangrove forests, birds, and marine creatures.
You’ll then get to cool off with a drink of refreshing king coconut water as we make a stop on a nearby sandbank island to dig for clams, enjoy the cool breeze, and admire the spectacular views across the lagoon.
We then return to the dock where our tour ends. From here, feel free to ask your local guide for suggestions on what else to see and do in the area during your visit.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Cooling local drink
- Boat ride
- Refreshing king coconut.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Bookmundi is partner with Urban Adventures. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Full payment of 60 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Spirit of Negombo tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Spirit of Negombo tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Other Practical InformationMeeting start point : Pillaiyaar kovil (135, Sea street, Negombo). The Hindu temple is located opposite the road leading to Wijayaratnam Hindu Central College. Meeting end point : Pillaiyaar kovil (135, Sea street, Negombo).