- Bicycle tour
- Active and outdoor
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 6 days
- tour type Small group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 12
- Footprint carbonneutralCO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date prior to 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour You can select a new tour run by the same operator up to 30 days before departure.
- The South Island scenery will take your breath away in more ways than one – enjoy a short hike in Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park then cycle mostly trafficfree trails from the majestic Southern Alps to the shores of the Pacific Ocean.
- Taste some of New Zealand’s best produce, from trying lakecaught salmon to sampling drops from the country’s newest wine region before the rest of the world discovers them.
- Experience firsthand the famous hospitality of the locals, with memorable stays from lakeside lodges to unique, historic huts.
- Experience the best New Zealand scenery has to offer – from peaks and gorges to turquoisecoloured lakes – with nothing but fresh air separating you.
If there’s a land made for cycling, this is it. After a visit and short hike in the Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park follow the path of the bright blue waters of Lake Pukaki near Twizel as it flows down from the Southern Alps, twisting through valleys, passing through lakes, and rolling out into the open Pacific Ocean at Oamaru. Jump on the saddle and you’ll flow down descents from forested summits, twist along roads squeezed between peaks and shores, and roll along backroads, side trails and the official Alps 2 Ocean trail. With an expert leader directing the pack, the only directions you’ll need is when to detour to the best trails and special stops only the locals know. With memorable accommodation and tastes of New Zealand along the way, this is a real gateway to some seriously great outdoors.
Day 1: Christchurch - Aoraki (Mt Cook) NP - Twizel
Day 2: Twizel - Lake Ohau
Day 3: Lake Ohau - Omarama
Day 4: Omarama - Kurow
Day 5: Kurow - Duntroon - Tokarahi
Day 6: Tokarari - Oamaru
- Hotel/Guesthouse (3 nts), Lodge (1nt), Hut (1 nt)
- 5 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Bicycle (e-bike available , subject to availability) , minivan
- An expert tour leader
- 1-2 Hour Hike
- 6 Days Bicycle Hire
- 5 Days Guided Cycling
- Any international flights to Christchurch and from Oamaru are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Cycle New Zealand: Alps to Ocean tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Save US$ 97 today.
- Earn US$ 65+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycle New Zealand: Alps to Ocean tour. You can cancel the tour up to 30 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 29 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 June 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 June 2022, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 29 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycle New Zealand: Alps to Ocean tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycle New Zealand: Alps to Ocean tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’. For Cycling trips these changes are usually around finding even better roads to ride on, which can alter the distance/time we spend riding on a day to day basis, but can sometimes even extend to accommodation or included activities if needed.
- Accommodation on the Alps to Ocean Trail can be booked out months in advance so there may be occasions where we stay in locations nearby to those advertised. Your leader will inform you at the initial group meeting if this is the case on your departure.
- Unlike many Intrepid Cycling trips this itinerary does not have a full-time support vehicle constantly following the group. As well as the short cycling distances making it unnecessary, no vehicles are allowed to drive along the vehicle-free trails we use. Your luggage is always transported for you (by vehicle) between accommodations.
- Due to the relatively small distances cycled on this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group. There may be times when the leader asks one of the group to act as a back marker.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated. Children aged 17 years and under must present either a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery or proof of full vaccination. Any customer who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons can apply for an exemption. Customers must provide a medical certificate from a medical professional. These new safety measures apply on all trips, except for tours in Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands.