- duration 7 days
- tour type Self-guided
- tour_type Self-guided tour
- age requirement 18+ years old
- age_requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Following in the footsteps of pilgrims from centuries ago
- Discovering the wild slopes of the Apennine mountains and the best preserved forests in Italy
- Visiting quintessential Italian towns each with their unique atmosphere
- Staying in comfortable, welcoming and charming B&Bs and agriturismo
Walk in the footsteps of St Francis on a journey from eastern Tuscany through sublime rural landscapes to Città di Castello in Umbria. During the Middle Ages St Francis of Assisi traversed the ridges and valleys of the Apennines, looking for God's signs in nature and talking to people about peace, humility and brotherhood. During this first section of the Way of St Francis 'camino' route, follow the paths St Francis covered during his frequent pilgrimages. Discover traces of his passage, such as Franciscan hermitages, chapels and crosses as you walk through the typical landscape of eastern Tuscany and northern Umbria: shady forests, orchards, olive groves and fields of wheat, corn and tobacco. Apart from the spiritual side of this walk, there are numerous drawcards along the way such as Chiusi with its charming location and Franciscan monastery, the medieval hamlet of Anghiari and the culinary delights which await each evening. Crossing from the Arno to the Tiber river valleys, with hill top castles dotting the landscape and evidence of St Francis and his journey from church to chapels, there are also opportunities to view birdlife such as Montagu's Harrier and Moorhen.
Day 1 : Arrive Chiusi della Verna
Day 2 : Walk to Caprese Michelangelo (4hrs)
Day 3 : Continue to Ponte Alla Piera (5hrs)
Day 4 : Discover castle topped hills en route to Anghiari (4hrs)
Day 5 : Transfer to Sansepolcro and walk to Citerna in Umbria (5hrs)
Day 6 : Final stage to Città di Castello (5 or 7hrs)
Day 7 : Trip concludes
- 6 nights in 3 star hotels, B&Bs and Agriturismo on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities (hotel taxes extra, payable locally - allow €5-10pp)
- Information pack including smartphone app with maps plus a route book per room booked
- 6 breakfasts, 4 dinners: Breakfasts are usually continental inclusive of breads, tea, coffee & juices. Dinner will consist of 3 courses, usually starting with a salad or pasta dish, followed by either a chicken, red meat or fish dish with seasonal vegetables & finishing with a dessert of fruit or cakes.
- Luggage transfer
- Private transfer from Anghiari to Sansepolcro on day 5
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to Chiusi and from Città di Castello
- Meals not included - lunch daily, dinner on days 2 and 6. Allow EUR15-20 for dinner and EUR5-8 for picnic lunch.
- Items of a personal nature including drinks, souvenirs, phone calls, internet and laundry etc.
- Entrance fees (museums, galleries etc.)
- Guide - this is a self guided tour
- Travel insurance
- Tourist Tax - allow EUR1-2 per day - payable directly to each hotel
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 45 today.
- Earn US$ 30+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this St Francis Way: Chiusi to Città di Castello tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 March 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
St Francis Way: Chiusi to Città di Castello tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this St Francis Way: Chiusi to Città di Castello tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.