- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 6 hours
- tour type Group Tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Meet local artisans at the Baan OnTai Sustainable Village and learn how to make a souvenir to take home with you
- Wander around a 600year old temple
- Visit hidden natural springs that have a unique, local backstory
- Enjoy an authentic healthy Thai lunch from organic farm
Overwhelmed trying to shop in Thailand’s markets? Let a local guide show you where to buy authentic souvenirs instead of the mass-produced knock-offs littering many market stalls. Visit an artisan's village where you’ll have a chance to make your own souvenir. We’ll also enjoy a mouth-watering lunch together, visit a historic temple, and check out Chiang Mai’s hidden natural springs.
We’ll kick off your Chiang Mai handicraft tour the most local way that we know; by riding on local transport! In Chiang Mai, the public transit system is a collection of red flatbed trucks (called Songthaew) that ride around town. We’ll ride for 45 minutes to Baan Ontai Village, a close-knit community in the Sankhamphaeng district
Your artisan experience begins at Fah Mai Handloom, where you’ll meet friendly local artisans and learn the basics of bamboo weaving. You will also have an opportunity to have a go at making something yourself under the expert guidance of one of the weavers.
Next, we’ll check out the processes behind cotton weaving from a local expert and admire their finished products before making our way to Wat Chiang Saen, a Chinese Pottery workshop that showcases the work of local artists.
It’s time for an injection of culture and history! We will stop at the historic temple of Wat Chiang Saen which originated from the Lanna kingdom, dating back 600 years. The area is surrounded by ancient kiln sites and lush forest.
Holy water is next with a visit to the natural springs that locals believe can heal the sick.
Then we’re off to an organic farm where we will enjoy a delicious Thai lunch using ingredients sourced from the surrounding area.
After that, we’ll say goodbye to some of the lovely people we have met today and return to our trusty car or Songthaew for the 45-minute return journey to Chiangmai City where your tour will end. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay.
- Local English-speaking guide
- bamboo-weaving and clay work workshop.
- Tips/gratuities for your local guides and drivers.
- Bookmundi is partner with Urban Adventures. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Full payment of 50 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Made In Chiang Mai: Artisan Village & Handicraft Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Made In Chiang Mai: Artisan Village & Handicraft Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Other Practical InformationMeeting start point : We will meet you at the main entrance to the Imperial Maeping Hotel near the Brahma shrine. The Imperial Maeping is closed for renovations from July 2019-December 2020. The meeting point is outside the main entrance near the street. Meeting end point : Drop-off at the central Imperial Maeping Hotel.