- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Walking the Boundary of King Offa’s Mercia
- Historic Castles and Abbeys Dating From 1066
- Border Country of England and Wales
- Walking in the Wye Valley
A walk back through history to King Offa’s Mercia on the border of England and Wales. Once upon a time in the 8th century, there was a ruthless King of Mercia called Offa. Such trouble had he from Welsh marauders nibbling at the toes of his kingdom, that once and for all he decided to define his territory and built a huge earthwork to do so, generally following the high ground with commanding views into the mountains and down into the valleys. Today the remaining 80 miles of embankment forms Britain’s longest archaeological monument and the basis of a famous walk: Crossing the border between England and Wales more than 10 times, the Offa’s Dyke National Trail path follows some of the finest scenery in both countries for 177 miles (285 km). Our walk follows the southern half of this trail from Chepstow to Knighton, (about half this walking distance in total). It is a journey packed with interest through patchworks of fields, over windswept ridges, across infant rivers, by ruined castles and into the old border market towns. Traditional farming methods have more or less remained intact and the hedgerows, oak woods and hay meadows form good wildlife habitats, home of buzzards and the rare Red Kite. You might even discover the even rarer Welsh Red Dragon!
Day 1 : Arrive Chepstow
Day 2 : Chepstow to Redbrook 19.6 km/13 miles OR 29km/18 miles to Monmouth
Day 3 : Redbrook 29 km/18 miles or Monmouth 21 km/13 miles to Llangattock Lingoed
Day 4 : Llangattock Lingoed to Longtown 15.25 km/9.5 miles
Day 5 : Longtown to Hay on Wye 23.3 km/14.5 miles
Day 6 : Hay on Wye to Kington 23.3 km/14.75 miles
Day 7 : Kington to Knighton 22 km/13.5 miles
Day 8 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 7 nights accommodation in a mixture of hotels and guesthouses on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities where available
- Information pack including route notes & maps (1 pack per room booked)
- 7 breakfasts
- One piece of luggage per person transferred from Inn to Inn, not exceeding 20kg
- Emergency hotline
- GPX files
- Lunch, Dinner and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Travel insurance
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the trip
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 44 today.
- Save US$ 29+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Offa's Dyke tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Offa's Dyke tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Offa's Dyke tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.