- duration 11 days
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 10+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Chennai: The capital of the south, known for the warmth of its people and the hustle and bustle of its streets
- Mahabalipuram: Its famous Hindu temples on the seashore are an excellent example of Dravidian culture
- Pondicherry: This city offers a unique experience with a mixture of modern heritage and spiritual culture
- Thanjavur: Famous for the UNESCOlisted Brihadishvara temple, dedicated to Shiva. It is also an important Hindu pilgrimage centre
India is more than a country – it’s a multicultural subcontinent with dozens of languages and religions, and nowhere is this diversity more evident than in the exotic south. The aroma of the tea plantations, the fragrance of the spice gardens, the enchanting mantras and music in the Hindu temples, and the lush green of nature. Discover the mysteries of South India on a journey that invited you to enjoy the richness of Dravidian culture, the colourful gopuram of Hindu temples, houseboats in Kerala backwaters, and much more!
Day 1: Arrival Chennai
Day 2: Chennai – Mahabalipuram (60kms - 2 Hrs)
Day 3: Mahabalipuram – Pondicherry (138kms -3hrs)
Day 4: Pondicherry – Tanjore (177kms - 4 Hrs)
Day 5: Tanjore – Trichy (59km - 80 Hrs)
Day 6: Tanjore – Chettinad – Madurai (158kms - 4 Hrs)
Day 7: Madurai – Periyar (145kms -4 Hrs)
Day 8: Periyar – Kumarakom (185kms - 4 Hrs)
Day 9: Kumarakom – Alleppey (by Boat)
Day 10: Alleppey – Cochin (62kms - 2 Hrs)
Day 11: Depart Cochin
- 10 nights’ accommodation
- 10 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 9 dinners
- Air-conditioned transportation
- Inbound airport transfer from Chennai International Airport
- Outbound airport transfer to Kochi International Airport
- Operated with accompanied bilingual German-English speaking guides
- All entrance fees to monuments as indicated in itinerary: Government Museum, Art Gallery, Fort St. George in Chennai, Shore Temples at Mahabalipuram, Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry, Brihadishvara Temples & Rock Fort Temple in Tanjore, Meenakshi Temple in Madurai, Sanctuary visit in Periyar, Mattancherry Dutch Palace, Jewish Synagogue & St. Francis Church in Cochin, short bicycle rickshaw ride at Pondicherry, village visit by bullock cart at Kumbakonam, cooking demonstration at Thanjavur, Kalaripayattu (traditional martial art) performance at Periyar, visit to Connemara Tea factory (Closed on Sundays), Kathakali Dance performance in Cochin
- Meet & Greet on arrival at Chennai International Airport
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Optional excursions
- Any other optional activities or tours not mentioned in the ‘Inclusions’ section
- Airfares, airport taxes or supplements, quoted separately if applicable
- Tips to drivers, local guides and hotel staff
- Any service not listed above
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 73+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this South India Backwaters tour. You can cancel the tour up to 35 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 34 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 26 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 26 February 2021, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 34 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
South India Backwaters tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this South India Backwaters tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has implemented smaller group sizes than normal, allowing for more personal space on the vehicles, sights visited, hotels and restaurants.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this trip. Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.