- Wildlife safaris and game drives
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Farm and plantation visits
- duration 15 days
- tour type Small group Request as private
- age requirement 16-95 yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-21674
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Visit the ornate Maharajah's Palace in Mysore and discover the colourful Meenakshi Temple in Madurai
- Wander the French style quarter of Pondicherry and visit the Sri Aurobindo ashram
- Search for endemic wildlife including elephant, chital and bison in Bandipur National Park
This two-week journey is the perfect introduction to India's varied south. As we wind our way around the region we discover intricately carved temple complexes, ornate palaces and lush scenery in the tropical south-west.
Palaces and temples - Visit the ornate Maharajah's Palace in Mysore and discover the colourful Meenakshi Temple in Madurai
Bandipur National Park - Search for endemic wildlife including elephant, chital and bison
Kochi and surrounds - Explore the Portuguese influenced city including the Chinese fishing nets and cruise the nearby backwaters
Day 1 : Join trip in Chennai (Madras)
Day 2 : Drive to Pondicherry via Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary and discover the town's French Quarters
Day 3 : Visit the Srirangam river island temples en route to Madurai
Day 4 : Explore the colourful Meenakshi Temple and Thirumalai Nayak Palace in Madurai
Day 5 : Drive to Thekkady and learn all about Indian spices with a tour of a spice garden
Day 6 : Board a houseboat and sail through the tranquil Kerala backwaters
Day 7 : Travel to the fort city of Kochi. Afternoon optional Kathakali performance or a local cookery class
Day 8 : Walk around fort Kochi and take a sunset cruise around the harbour
Day 9 : Explore the well preserved 18th century Palakkad Fort en route to Coimbatore
Day 10 : Ride the toy train to 'Snooty Ooty' and drive to Bandipur National Park
Day 11 : Search for wildlife on two game drives in Bandipur National Park
Day 12 : Early morning optional safari and drive to Mysore for a sound and light show at Mysuru Palace
Day 13 : Explore Mysuru's colourful market and the impressive Mysuru Palace before taking an overnight train to Chennai
Day 14 : Travel to the coastal town of Mamallapuram, home to the fascinating shore temples
Day 15 : Trip ends in Mamallapuram
- 14 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinners
- The Pride Hotel (1 night)
- Hotel Atithi (1 night)
- Hotel Fortune Pandiyan (2 nights)
- Abad Green Forest (1 night)
- Kerala Houseboat (1 night)
- Hotel Casino (2 nights)
- Hotel Zibe Coimbatore by GRT (1 night)
- Windflower Tusker Trails (2 nights)
- Hotel Sandesh The Prince (1 night)
- Overnight train from Mysore to Chennai (1 night)
- Hotel Mamalla Heritage (1 night)
- Explore Tour Leader
- Boat Crew
- Local Guide(s)
- Any international flights to Chennai and from Mamallapuram are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Highlights of Southern India tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Earn US$ 92+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Highlights of Southern India tour. You can cancel the tour up to 63 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 62 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 November 2023, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 November 2023, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 62 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Highlights of Southern India tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Highlights of Southern India tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- The average size of this tour is just 12 people.
- Rigorous hygiene safety measures will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be either fully vaccinated atleast 14 days prior to departure or have taken a negative test (rapid antigen or PCR) within 72 hours of departure.
- How many days are sufficient for an India tour?
- What are some of the tourist scams that I need to know about before visiting India?
- What are some of the most popular tourist destinations in India?
Is India a safe place for tourists?
India is generally safe for tourists. However, petty crimes, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, are common. Tourists tend to be targeted in busy tourist areas, and petty crime frequently occurs on public transportation and overnight trains. Be aware of your surroundings and take care to avoid potentially risky situations.
How to plan an Asia tour?
Asia is a relatively large continent, so there are a wide variety of destinations to explore. Therefore, if you are planning a multi-country trip to Asia, the first thing you need to prepare is the list of countries you are interested in along with your starting and ending points. You would also need to decide on the best time for your trip depending on seasonal variations that affect each country.
After finalizing when and where to travel in Asia, you should make arrangements for all the necessary travel documents. These would include visas, insurances, Covid-19 test reports, vaccine cards, and so on.