- duration 18 days
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 14+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Tagong Horse Festival Meet the nomads as they demonstrate their equestrian skills and celebrate their way of life
- Dege Printing House Explore this 'encyclopaedia of Tibetan culture' and learn about the Tibetan perspective on geography, medicine, arts and religion
- Ancient Kham Travel through dramatic high mountain passes, vast grassland plains and small villages
The south-eastern part of the Tibetan Plateau is a region of stunning high mountain scenery and fascinating people. Travelling in the region we'll discover immense monasteries and settlements devoted to Tibetan Buddhism and visit the Tagong grasslands for the annual Horse Festival, a demonstration of bizarre equestrian skills and a general all round celebration. Tagong Horse Festival - A colourful celebration of equestrian skills including high speed races and picking up items from the floor whilst on horseback Dege Printing House - Explore this 'encyclopaedia of Tibetan culture' and learn about the Tibetan perspective on geography, medicine, arts and religion Ancient Kham - Travel through dramatic high mountain passes, vast grassland plains and small villages
Day 1 : Join trip in Chengdu
Day 2 : Visit the Panda Research Centre and Wenshu Temple, drive to Dujiangyan
Day 3 : Discover Dujiangyan, the Two Kings Temple and the Dragon Taming Temple. Drive to Ma Er Kang (2600m)
Day 4 : Explore Songgang Watch Towers and drive to Rangtang (3280m) via the Dukehe River Valley
Day 5 : Rangtang Monastery and Tibetan village.
Day 6 : Drive to Ganzi (3390m)
Day 7 : Walk around Ganzi and the local food market
Day 8 : Drive to Baiyu (2360m) via the Zhuodala mountain pass (4600m) and the Changduoke Monastery
Day 9 : Visit Baiyu Monastery and drive to Dege along the Yangtze River
Day 10 : Explore Dege and its famous Tibetan printing house
Day 11 : Drive through the mountains to Dzogchen Monastery, visiting villages and Xinluhai Lake en route
Day 12 : Explore Dzogchen Monastery and drive to Ganzi
Day 13 : Drive to Tagong via Daofu and the Lingque Monastery
Day 14 : Experience the Tagong Horse Festival
Day 15 : More time to enjoy the events at the Tagong Horse Festival
Day 16 : Drive to Luding (1320m) and explore the town
Day 17 : Drive along the ancient Tea and Horse Trail to Chengdu
Day 18 : Trip ends in Chengdu
- 17 nights standard hotel
- 17 Breakfast
- Explore Tour Leader, Driver(s), Local Guide(s)
- Any international flights to/from Chengdu are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this The Tagong Horse Festival of Ancient Kham tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Bookmundi is partner with Explore. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit of 0 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 59 days before departure. For any departures within 21 December 2019 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
The Tagong Horse Festival of Ancient Kham tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this The Tagong Horse Festival of Ancient Kham tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.