- duration 18 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Join devout pilgrims in a supported trek around Mount Kailash, considered to be the mythical Mount Meru
- Experience the wonder of the Saga Dawa festival
- Journey across the Tibetan Plateau with sweeping Himalaya views
- Explore Lhasa, including the Potala, former home of the Dalai Lama
Explore Kailash, the most sacred mountain in the Himalaya, during the Saga Dawa festival, and experience the traditional culture of sacred Tibet.. Mount Kailash is said to be the mythical Mount Meru, the centre of the universe. It is revered in both Hindu and Buddhist legends, while its location, close to the sources of the four main rivers that flow across the Indian sub-continent, contributes to its mystique. Our adventure includes a week long journey from Lhasa (via Gyantse and Shigatse) across the vast Tibetan plateau. We plan to reach Mount Kailash at the time of the Saga Dawa festival when many thousands of pilgrims from throughout Tibet gather to pay homage to the mountain. After the celebrations we will undertake a three day trek, or kora, around Mount Kailash, with inspiring views of one of the world's most iconic mountains, before the drive back to Lhasa and onto Kathmandu.
Day 1 : Arrive Kathmandu, Nepal
Day 2 : Morning sightseeing in Kathmandu, transfer to Balthali
Day 3 : Day walks around Balthali
Day 4 : Return to Kathmandu via Bhaktapur
Day 5 : Fly Kathmandu to Lhasa (3670m)
Day 6-7 : In Lhasa (3670m)
Day 8 : Commence drive towards Kailash to Gyantse (8-9 hours drive, 3900m, 290kms)
Day 9 : Drive to Shigatse (3 hours drive, 3800m, 90kms)
Day 10-12 : Drive across the Tibetan plateau towards Lake Manasarovar and Kailash.
Day 13 : In Darchen, prelude of Saga Dawa Festival
Day 14 : Saga Dawa Festival. Commence trek around Mount Kailash to Dera Phuk (30 minute drive from Darchen to Serlung, 6hr walk, 5000m). Overnight basic lodge.
Day 15 : Continue trek around Mount Kailash to Zutrul Phuk via Dolma La (5600m). (10 hrs walking, 4900m). Overnight basic lodge.
Day 16 : Complete trek around Mount Kailash (4 hours walk). Overnight basic hotel.
Day 17-18 : Drive towards Kathmandu across the Tibetan plateau
Day 16 : Drive from Gyirong to Kathmandu (1,400m)
Day 17 : In Kathmandu
Day 18 : In Kathmandu, trip concludes
- Good quality accommodation in Chengdu/Lhasa/Shigatse/Gyantse
- 17 breakfasts, 12 lunches and 11 dinners
- Airport transfers if arriving on day 1, 2 and 18
- Private transportation
- Expert bilingual guide
- The use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500)
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag
- Yaks to carry all group equipment
- Group medical kit
- Portable altitude chamber for group use
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Sightseeing and site entry fees as listed
- Bottled Oxygen for emergency use
- International flights
- Chengdu-Lhasa flight. Please contact your local World Expeditions office to arrange your flights.
- Meals not included in the daily itinerary
- Alcoholic and bottled drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 169+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Journey to Mount Kailash tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 09 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 09 February 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Journey to Mount Kailash tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Journey to Mount Kailash tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.