- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Walking on the Largest of the Greek Islands
- Samaria Gorge and Imbros Gorge
- Hiking in the White Mountains
- Coastal Walking & Picturesque Ports
Discover Crete, the largest of the Greek Islands, on foot. Rich in natural splendour, and in countless reminders of its ancient and turbulent past, Crete affords an inexhaustible source of vivid impressions. Our introduction to western Crete is Chania, with its busy and colourful market and lively waterfront. Inland, where the Levka Ori (White Mountains) rise to over 2400m/8000ft, the high ground is riven by a series of deep gorges leading down to the south coast. The Samaria gorge is now a National Forest Park, while the Imbros Gorge was at one time a main route for pack animals across the island. As you hike through this largest of all Greek islands, there are orange and olive groves, forests of cypress, pine and evergreen oak - and a profusion of wild flowers, some of them found only in Crete, for the island is host to more plant species than are found in the whole of the British Isles. This wealth of flowers and herbs sustains a large insect and butterfly population, which, in part, explains the popularity of Crete with migrant birds. Some 250 different species of migrant birds have been identified in Crete. In the high mountains griffon vultures and even lammergeiers may be observed as well as other birds of prey. You also pass the scattered ruins of former civilisations and occupations, including Roman, Byzantine, Venetian, and Turkish. However to see remains of the earlier Minoan civilisation you will need to spend longer on Crete.Cretan life reflects its natural surroundings. In the foothill villages, where life is simple and very close to nature, you will meet a proud people, devoted to their customs and traditions, and genuinely generous in their hospitality.
Our three trips with Sherpa have opened up a whole new world of experiences for us that we could not have done as easily ourselves. Sherpa let us explore these areas with our minds at ease and our focus on exploring as all the details were well thought out and laid out for us. Loved our trips and plan to do more self-guided trips with Sherpa.”
Day 1 : Arrive Chania
Day 2 : Chania to Omalos
Day 3 : Circular walk Omalos, 5.5 hours
Day 4 : Omalos to Agia Roumeli - 21 km/12.5 miles - 6 hours
Day 5 : Circular walk Agia Roumeli - 16 km/10 miles - 5 hours
Day 6 : Agia Roumeli to Anopolis
Day 7 : Anopolis to Chora Sfakion
Day 8 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 7 nights accommodation in small hotels and guesthouses on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities
- 7 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- Luggage transfer (except to/from Agia Roumeli where you spend nights 4 and 5)
- Information pack including route notes & maps
- Emergency hotline
- 4 dinners, all lunches & beverages
- Bus and/or taxi transfers from and back to airports or elsewhere within Crete
- Boat ticket from Loutro to Agia Roumeli on day 5 (approx. 17 Euros)
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 30+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Exploring Crete tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 324 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure. For any departures within 28 April 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Exploring Crete tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Exploring Crete tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.