- duration 2 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Learn how local and international artists are helping to change a neighbourhood
- See some truly amazing public art
- Meet a guide whose story is part of the neighbourhood’s revitalization
- Feel good about making a small contribution to the city by becoming part of its history
If you love street art and exploring off the beaten track – this is a private tour for you! The Salt River area of Cape Town is home to a large collection of murals, a project spearheaded by Baz Art, a non-profit organization aiming to highlight the power of street art to bring positive change to a community. Alongside a local guide with insider knowledge of both the amazing art and Salt River, you’ll learn all about the area as well as the murals you see along the way.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Your private tour will first take you to Me'Kasi Coffee, a training centre for young adults from impoverished communities. Once we arrive, a cup of coffee or tea is on us, and while you sip, you’ll hear a bit about what the center is all about. Before leaving, you can opt to buy something in support of the centre, but that is totally up to you.
After we’re charged up for our walk, it’s time to go exploring. As we walk, you’ll hear about the history of Salt River and the people who live in the neighbourhood. You might even meet some interesting people since your guide comes from the area and knows it well. This is also your chance to start adding to your Instagram feed - the architecture alone is enough to fill your phone.
By now you’ve probably started to notice some of those aforementioned murals, of which we’ll pass by up to 20 or 30 on our walk. You guide will fill you in on the positive effects these murals are having on the community. The murals were put up by the organization Baz Art in conjunction with local communities and the city council. The vision of Baz Art is to showcase the power of street art and its ability to transform communities and individuals. You can also feel good knowing that the vast part of the tour price will go to BAZ ART NGO for more street-art projects like the one you’re getting the chance to see.
At the end of the private tour, you will have seen some amazing art, discovered the revitalized area of Salt River, and heard tales of courage and determination. Before departing, your guide can direct you back to your accommodations or provide tips on what else to see and do in Cape Town.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Coffee or tea at start of tour
- Extra gratuities for the vendors
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for vendors
- tips/gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences Private Cape Town Tour: Salt River Street Art tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 November 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 November 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences Private Cape Town Tour: Salt River Street Art tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences Private Cape Town Tour: Salt River Street Art tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
289 Victoria Road, Salt RiverMeeting end point :
Devils Peak brewery. 150 Cecil Rd, Salt River, Cape Town, 7925Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.