- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the legendary pyramids of Saqqara, including the famous Step Pyramid
- Immerse yourself in ridiculously ancient history with a visit to Memphis, the ancient capital of Lower Egypt and the Old Kingdom of Egypt
- Engage with your local guide to get a unique insight into Egypt’s history and customs.
Time for a time warp and some sweet pyramids. Ready?!Located approximately 30 km south of modern-day Cairo, Saqqara is a vast, ancient burial ground in Egypt with the world's oldest standing step pyramid. It's the first stop on our private day tour from Cairo, and certainly is an impressive way to start the day. Designed by Imhotep for King Djoser (c.2667-2648 BC), the Step Pyramid is the oldest complete stone-hewn building complex known in history, and is surrounded by other small pyramids dating back to the 5th and 6th Dynasties.
Although Saqqara was eclipsed as the burial ground of royalty by Giza and the Valley of the Kings in Thebes (near Luxor), it remained an important complex for burials and cult ceremonies for more than 3,000 years.
Next up, we're off to Memphis, which functioned as the ancient capital of Lower Egypt and of the Old Kingdom of Egypt from its foundation until around 2200 BC. The modern towns of Dahshur and Saqqara lie within the administrative borders of historical Memphis. Wander around, explore, and immerse yourself in the atmosphere of some really, really old cities. Careful not to stand in place for too long - you might mummify!
Shake off the dust of the past, bid farewell to these decidedly less touristy pyramids, and conclude your private Cairo pyramids tour by heading back to the big, modern city. It'll be a stark contrast to Saqqara and Memphis, but we're pretty sure you can handle it.
Following recent safety incidents, we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Egypt before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers
- Local English speaking guide
- Entrance fees to Saqqara and Memphis
- Food and drink
- items of a personal nature
- tips / gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private Cairo: Saqqara and Memphis tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 13 June 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 13 June 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private Cairo: Saqqara and Memphis tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private Cairo: Saqqara and Memphis tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Pharaohs Hotel, 12 Lotfy Hassouna, St, Dokki, Giza GovernorateView on Google MapsMeeting end point :
Pharaohs Hotel, 12 Lotfy Hassouna, St, Dokki, Giza GovernorateView on Google Ma COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.