Alexandria was the capital of Egypt for more than 1,000 years. It was founded by Alexander the Great in 334 B.C. It became the gem of the Mediterranean and sometimes exceeded Athens and Rome. It is now the second biggest city in Egypt and has the biggest seaport. Situated about 220km (140 miles) north west of Cairo, this tour is an excellent opportunity to visit Alexandria in one day trip from Cairo.
You will start your tour at 7am as your professional tour guide will meet you at the lobby of your hotel or your residence to get on your private, modern a/c van (WiFi on board) and head for Alexandria (3 hours' drive each way). In Alexandria you will visit the following sights:
1. Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa (1st century A.D.). It is considered one of the seven wonders of the middle ages and uniquely combines 3 different styles of art - Ancient Egyptian, Greek and Roman.
2. Pompey's pillar (3rd century A.D.) (28m high) and the remains of the ancient temple of Serapis (Serapeum).
3. Roman amphitheater (3rd century A.D.) and monuments discovered under the Mediterranean.
4. Fort of Qaitbay (15th century A.D.) at the same site of the ancient lighthouse (Pharos)
5. New Library of Alexandria (Bibliotheca Alexandrina)
6. Lunch in a seafood restaurant overlooking the Mediterranean.
At the end of the tour you will be transferred back to your hotel/residence in Cairo.
We look forward to providing you with an excellent day.