- Enjoy the best of relaxation and discover beautiful landscapes
- Take a break from the hustle bustle of Cairo
- Spend a day tour in Al Fayoum
Al Fayoum boasts of a rich Roman history and many of its attractions can be traced back to the first three centuries AD. The people of Al Fayoum and not only embalmed their dead but also placed a portrait of the deceased over the face of the mummy wrappings. The Egyptians continued their practice of burying their dead, despite the Roman preference for cremation.
Preserved by the dry desert environment, these Fayoum portraits make up the richest body of portraiture to have survived from antiquity.They provide us with a window into a remarkable society of people of mixed origins such as Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Syrians, Libyans and others — that flourished 2,000 years ago in Al Fayoum. The portraits were painted on wood in a pigmented wax technique called encaustic.
After meeting your guide at the hotel, you will drive for 75 minutes to get to Al Fayoum. You will then visit the museum of Karanis and the ruins of various Roman temples on the road. Drive through the fertile fields as you get closer to the Al Fayoum villages. Enjoy the fresh air surrounding the Qarun Lake, once known to be one of the biggest natural lakes in the world.
Enjoy the beautiful landscapes surrounding the lake and check out nature at her best. Then, drive to the Wadi Al Rayan National Park. This park is located in the western desert and is home to the only waterfalls in Egypt.
Drive back to Cairo to end the tour.
- English-speaking Egyptologist guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transport on air conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Tipping or gratituities (recommended)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Personal expenses
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.