- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Exploring the canal ways and cobble stoned streets of Bruges
- Cycling to the interesting towns of Antwerp and Ghent with their historic buildings, windmills and bridges
- Sampling the exquisite chocolates, waffles and beer in atmospheric cafe's and bars
- Soaking up the hospitality onboard the comfortable MS Mecklenburg
Journey from the historic town of Bruges to the Belgian capital city, Brussels, by bike and barge. Discover the beautiful landscapes and charming towns of Belgium as you travel by bike and barge between Bruges and Brussels. Explore the magical town of Bruges, famous for its small channels, museums and picture postcard buildings. The cycling itinerary takes you to the North Sea and the seaside resort Blankenberge, and to medieval towns including Ghent and Antwerp. There is time to visit the market squares en route, and sample the local waffles, chocolate and beer. Cruise in comfort on the small barge, along beautiful and winding rivers and channels. The trip ends in Brussels with a chance to wander the old town with its Gothic town hall and guild houses.
Day 1 : Board boat in Bruges
Day 2 : Round cycle from Bruges to the North Sea (55km / 34mi)
Day 3 : By bike to Ghent (Merelbeke), explore the old town on foot (40km / 25mi)
Day 4 : Cycle to Dendermonde, by boat to Sint Amands (48km / 30mi)
Day 5 : Cycle to Antwerp (42km / 26mi)
Day 6 : Cycle via Lier to Willebroek (45km / 28mi)
Day 7 : By bike to Mechelen and Vilvoorde, cruise to Brussels (40km / 25mi)
Day 8 : Trip concludes in Brussels
- 7 nights accommodation in a twin share cabin with ensuite facilities aboard a Category B+ barge (supplement applies for single cabin - limited to one per departure). The spacious cabins are configured with two lower beds, except for 2 of these cabins which are configured with bunk beds plus a single bed therefore can be booked as triple (small discount applies). We do not match travellers together so if you are travelling solo you will need to book a single cabin (limited and on a request basis).
- 7 breakfasts, 6 picnic lunches, 7 dinners, tea and coffee in the afternoon - breakfasts are buffet style consisting of breads, cereals, eggs, cheese, meats, fruit, yoghurt and breakfast beverages (including instant decaffeinated coffee). Picnic lunches are assembled at breakfast time. Dinners are 3 courses served in the dining room. On board the food is mostly organic, freshly prepared and often including home made bread. Special diets may be catered for on request (e.g. lactose-free and gluten-free diet) however there will be an extra fee. Please advise us at the time of booking or at least 21 days prior to departure. If necessary, some special dietary supplements may need to be brought with you.
- Cycle guide (option to self guide)
- 7 speed unisex bike rental with handbrake or backpedal brake. The bike is supplied with a waterproof pannier (10 speed electric bike available for a supplement - limited and on request).
- Bike insurance
- Welcome drink and information meeting on the first evening
- Information pack including route notes and maps per cabin
- Mid week cabin cleaning service
- Linen (including duvet and/or blankets) and change of towels as required
- On board tour guidance with daily briefings
- All harbour, lock and bridge fees
- Emergency hotline
- Travel to and from Brussels / Bruges
- Drinks other than afternoon tea and coffee on board
- Upgrade to a single cabin for a supplement - limited to one per departure, ask our office for details
- Entrance fees and excursions not specified, town maps, ferry tickets
- Transfers not specified
- Travel insurance - mandatory
- Tips - while tipping is not obligatory, it is customary to offer a tip if the guide and crew have done a good job. As a guide we would recommend EUR30-60 per person (to be distributed between the guide/s, captain and crew).
- Car parking
- Helmet - mandatory on all bike tours, you are encouraged to bring your own well-fitted helmet. No hire facility is available, you may be able to purchase from bike shops locally.
- Catering for special diets (except Vegetarian). A supplement is payable for lactose or gluten free diets - EUR50pp (subject to change) paid locally on board. See below for further details regarding catering for dietary requirements.
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 80 today.
- Save US$ 53+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Belgium Bike & Barge tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Belgium Bike & Barge tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Belgium Bike & Barge tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.