- Walking tour
- Museum and gallery visits
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Follow the route of the ancient Silk Road, travelling in the footsteps of countless generations of nomads and traders
- Discover the unreal, ancient rainbowcoloured landscape of Zhangye, a UNESCO site that looks like countless pots of bright paint have been spilled across sandstone mountains. You won't be able to put your camera away!
- Learn about the rapid development happening in western China as you travel between ancient regional centres and modern cities.
- Ride a camel across the sand dunes in Dunhuang in search of Crescent Lake, a desert oasis that has to be seen to be believed.
Discover the treasures of the Silk Road on this 15-day adventure through China, retracing part of the ancient trade route that linked East and West. An epic journey from bustling Beijing to the frontier city of Kashgar, travel by train across diverse and beautifully rugged landscapes to see some of the country’s most spectacular relics. From dynastic palaces and Muslim minarets to hidden grottoes and rock-cut Buddhist masterpieces, this is an unforgettable Eastern odyssey.
Xi'an - Overnight Train
Zhangye - Danxia Geological Park
Jiayuguan - Dunhuang
- Hotel (11 nights), Guesthouse (1 nt), Overnight Sleeper Train (2 nights)
- Overnight Sleeper Train , Private Bus , Public Bus , High Speed Train , Subway , Taxi
- An expert tour leader
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter walking tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors Tour (entrace fee, transport, local guide included)
- Zhangye - Danxia Landform Geological Park
- Jiayuguan - Hanging Great Wall
- Jiayuguan - Fort
- Dunhuang - Mogao Caves
- Dunhuang - Crescent Moon Lake & Singing Sand Mountains
- Turpan - Jiaohe Ancient City
- Kashgar - Livestock Market & Grand Sunday Bazaar
- Any international flights to Beijing and from Kashgar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this China's Silk Road tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 104+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this China's Silk Road tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 28 December 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 28 December 2020, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
China's Silk Road tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this China's Silk Road tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey and by high-speed rail where available. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to travel long distances and come face-to-face with the country and its people.
- You’ll be crossing one of the largest countries in the world, from the west coast along the ancient Silk Road route of the central plains to the remote frontier province of Xinjiang, so be prepared for some long travelling days.
- The Livestock Market we visit in Kashgar is an authentic experience of a market where local people go to buy and trade livestock for breeding, meat or as working animals. It's important for travellers to be aware that conditions and handling of animals may be different from in your home country. As animals here are being sold for meat it is likely you may also see butchered animals in parts of the market. If you would prefer to opt out of this activity please let your leader know.
- This is a politically sensitive part of the country with similar issues and tensions to in Tibet. We advise doing some reading on the current situation on the Uyghur people in China before your departure and to be aware that local perspectives on ethic tensions may be very different to what is able to to be discussed in foreign media.
- This trip finishes in Kashgar. Kashgar Airport is domestic only. For international connections you will need to book a flight from Kashgar to Urumqi - the closest international airport, and onward travel from there.
- If you are interested in continuing your journey along the Silk Road and into Central Asia, consider booking our The Great Silk Road (CBSAC) trip.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers