- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Uncover the living history of Bangkok’s historic Rattanakosin district discovering local food spots off the tourist trail
- Walk through one of the few areas of Bangkok that’s truly pleasant for walking, away from city traffic, on back streets amongst small canals and heritage architecture
- Taste at least 6 different types of typical Thai street food, both sweet and savoury
- Interact with local street food vendors with the help of your local guide in one of Bangkok’s friendliest neighbourhoods
Bangkok is a food lover’s paradise and its street food is legendary - and on this tour you’ll have the chance to try some of the best in the city. But rather than hitting up the usual tourist hot spots, you'll be eating your way through an area that offers some of the city’s most authentic eats. These aren’t the places listed in guidebooks or on travel shows – these are the places locals love. Along the way, you’ll also visit the grounds of Wat Pho to see its magical buildings lit up at night; without the day-time crowds
Your foodie walk starts in a neighbourhood that dates back to the foundations of the city. We’ll pass by small canals, local market stalls and heritage buildings, some of which still have signs of their original residents.
As you walk, you’ll get to sample at least 6 different Thai dishes at a selection of small local restaurants and street food carts chosen by our expert local guides, based on their own experience and recommendations from friends, family, and old city locals. Exactly which dishes you’ll taste on the day will depend on which vendors are open and which dishes are available.
Since you can try Pad Thai in every tourist restaurant in the city, so instead we’ll introduce you to different noodle dishes that are more commonly eaten by Bangkok locals such as kuay chap nam sai (rolled rice noodles in soup), rad na (noodles in gravy) or ba mi moo daeng (egg noodle soup with wontons).
Other savory dishes we might sample include Thai sausages or typical everyday dishes such as pad krapow (spicy basil stir-fry), khao man gai (chicken rice) or gai/moo bing (grilled chicken or pork skewers).
Whichever dishes are available on the day, you can be sure they’re fresh, homemade and delicious – otherwise, the locals wouldn’t keep coming back for them. Your expert local guide will share their knowledge of local life, history, and Thai culture and even help you learn a few words of Thai to communicate with the vendors if you wish.
With full stomachs, we’ll then walk back towards our starting point, passing some of the Old City’s most impressive historic buildings that are beautifully lit up at night. Before we say goodnight, we’ll divert into the grounds of Wat Pho, also known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha. This temple is packed with visitors every day, but after dark, very few people enter. We won’t be able to see the golden reclining Buddha, but the temple’s spectacular buildings are lit up at night making it a magical experience – and such a pleasure to see without the crowds.
The tour ends where we began at Sanam Chai MRT station – your local guide can give you suggestions on where to head if you’re looking for a night out, or direct you back to your accommodation using the MRT (subway) or local taxis.
- Local English-speaking guide
- 6 different street food items
- one non-alcoholic drink.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Old Bangkok Back Street Food Walk tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Old Bangkok Back Street Food Walk tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Old Bangkok Back Street Food Walk tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Inside Sanam Chai MRT station at the bottom of the escalators of Exit 1 (Museum Siam). If you come by taxi, please enter the MRT station in the grounds of Museum Siam and go down 2 sets of escalators.Meeting end point :
Sanam Chai MRT Station.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.