- duration 7 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the famous Damnoen Saduak floating market, where you can try delicious local treats and tasty seasonal fruits
- See local life along the water while riding a small boat through village canals
- Watch how local vendors set up shop along the tracks — and pack up when a train comes! — at the Maeklong Railway Market
- Learn how to make palm sugar, one of the key ingredients of traditional Thai cooking, at a local familyrun village plantation
Get out of town! Escape the bustle of Bangkok to visit one of the must-see sites of Thailand: a floating market! Sail the canals of Damnoen Saduak and shop for souvenirs, Thai treats and other goods from the vendors who sell their wares from boats and along the riverbank. You’ll also visit the see-it-to-believe-it Railway Market, where an active train track is a makeshift shopping strip, plus discover how to make palm sugar the old-fashioned way, from a local at their countryside plantation home.
The Damnoen Saduak floating market is one of the most popular sites to see in Thailand, and for good reason! Some call this area the Venice of the East, where vendors sell their goods from boats and stalls set up along the water's edge of this unique market.
In the mid-1800s, to help locals journeying between towns, Thai King Rama IV and his son, King Rama V, commissioned a 32-kilometre canal connecting two rivers together: the Mae Krong river and Tha Cheen River. The name of this man-made canal is Damnoen Saduak, which means "convenience journey" in Thai.
You'll start your tour with a drive by private vehicle to the railway market, about two hours from Bangkok. Please be on time for your tour! We'll need to leave at 6:30am sharp or you'll miss the excitement at the surreal railway market. And trust us, you need to see it to believe it! Vendors set up their goods along active railway tracks, with fresh produce, fabrics, cooking supplies and more all lined up a mere few inches from the track's edge (and in some cases, right on top of the tracks). You'll get to see what happens when the train comes through: vendors gather up their things and lower their canopies, and both vendors and shoppers step aside as the train travels right through the middle of the market. Once the train leaves, business resumes as though nothing had disrupted them! Between the train schedule, your guide will lead you around the market and introduce you to traditional Thai foods, from desserts to snacks to fresh fruits.
We'll then continue on a short drive to a palm sugar plantation, where we'll visit the house of a villager who still makes palm sugar the traditional way. There are a lot of coconut palm tree plantations in Thailand, and the local wisdom of making organic palm sugar from the nectar of coconut flowers has been passed down from generation to generation.
Onward, we'll board a small boat for a ride through narrow village canals, to reach the famous floating market of Damnoen Saduak — keep your camera ready as this place is a non-stop photo op. If anything catches your eye along your boat ride, let your guide know and you can stop to chat with vendors and purchase something to take home (or to eat right there!).
We'll then depart the boat and walk around to explore more of the market. You'll find a variety of Thai foods, such as seasonal tropical fruits from local orchards, as well as souvenirs, all available on both river banks.
Around noon, we'll head back to Bangkok and return you to the meeting point which is right next to BTS (Skytrain) station National Stadium. Your local guide will be happy to give you directions back to your accommodation or to other sites you should see.
- Private transportation during the tour
- Local English-speaking guide
- Boat ride
- A light snack.
- Additional food and drink
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide and driver.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Beyond Bangkok Market Adventure: Railway & Floating Markets tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Beyond Bangkok Market Adventure: Railway & Floating Markets tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Beyond Bangkok Market Adventure: Railway & Floating Markets tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Lobby of Lub D Siam Hostel 925/9 Rama 1 Rd. Wangmai, Pathum Wan, Bangkok.Address in Thai for taxis: 925, 9 ถนน พระรามที่ ๑ แขวง วังใหม่ เขต ปทุมวัน กรุงเทพมหานคร 10330Meeting end point :
Lobby of Lub D Siam Hostel 925/9 Rama 1 Rd. Wangmai, Pathum Wan, Bangkok.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.