- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 15 days
- tour type Small group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 12
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date prior to 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour You can select a new tour run by the same operator up to 30 days before departure.
- This is one of the original Intrepid journeys that started it all. Discover why Northern Thailand was chosen all those years back as an ideal destination to launch a world of travel experiences.
- Experience rural Thai life with multiday trek through scenic hilltribe villages in the remote Thai countryside, meeting welcoming locals and sharing laughs along the way.
- Visit the home of the infamous ‘Bridge over the River Kwai’, learning about its dark history and the construction of the railway during the war.
- Even the transport on this trip is an adventure – discover the joys of travelling on overnight sleeper trains, longtail boats, songthaew and rafthouses.
- Indulge in an organic farm to plate cooking demonstration and lunch at a farm stay in the Mae Chan District – full of heat, spice and fresh food, you won’t go hungry!
There’s a reason this trip was the tour that started it all, and still remains one of the most popular. Discover Northern Thailand, a lush adventure destination that takes you to the heart of what it means to be Intrepid. Experience the chaotic metropolis of bustling Bangkok, trek among the hillside villages near Chiang Rai, drift down the River Kwai in Kanchanaburi and see the historic temples of the Siam Kingdom. With welcoming hospitality, local experiences, mouth-watering cooking classes and plenty of free time to travel at your own pace, come along and see why Beautiful Northern Thailand was, and still is, a benchmark for all other Intrepid adventures.
Day 2:Bangkok - Kanchanaburi
Day 3:River Kwai - Erawan NP - Kanchanaburi
Day 5:Ayutthaya - Overnight train
Day 6:Chiang Mai
Day 7:Chiang Mai
Day 8:Doi Mae Salong
Day 9:Chiang Rai
Day 10:Hilltribe Villages Trek
Day 11:Hilltribe Villages Trek
Day 12:Hilltribe Villages trek - Chiang Rai
Day 13:Chiang Rai - Chiang Mai - Overnight Train
- Guesthouse (5 nights), Hilltribe village (2 nights), Hotel (4 nights), Overnight sleeper train (2 nights), Rafthouse (1 night)
- 3 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches, 3 Dinners
- Private minvan , Public bus , Overnight sleeper train , Songthaew , Taxi , Longtail Boat
- An expert tour leader
- Bangkok - Khlong boat canal tour
- Bangkok - Wat Pho
- Kanchanaburi - Erawan National Park
- Kanchanaburi - Kanchanaburi War Cemetery
- Rafthouse - Wat Baan Tham cave temple
- Kanchanaburi - Rafthouse experience
- Rafthouse - Wat Tham Suea temple
- Rafthouse - Wat Tham Khao Noi
- Ayutthaya - Temple Ruins entrance & guided tour
- Chiang Mai - Night Market
- Do Mae Salong - Local market
- Organic Farm - Farm To Plate Demonstration & Lunch
- Chiang Rai - 3 day Hilltribe villages trek
- Baan Pha Sert Nai Village - Community Dinner
- Hill Tribe Trek - Lunch
- Baan Khum Akha Village - Community Dinner
- Chiang Rai - Wat Rong Kun (White Temple)
- Any international flights to/from Bangkok are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Beautiful Northern Thailand tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 58+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Beautiful Northern Thailand tour. You can cancel the tour up to 30 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 29 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 February 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 February 2022, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 29 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Beautiful Northern Thailand tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Beautiful Northern Thailand tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- The hilltribe village house stays are a wonderful opportunity to witness every day rural life. Facilities are simple and multi-share but comfortable, with mattresses, bedding and mosquito nets all provided. Some travellers are nervous about the village house experience before they arrive, but we find most end up naming this as a highlight of their time in Thailand and a rewarding, authentic experience. On occasion your accommodation may not have hot water, but you will probably be keen to cool down from the heat with a refreshing cold shower!
- As we cover so much of the country in just over two weeks, be prepared for some long travel days. This trip includes two nights on overnight trains between Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Accommodation is simple but comfortable – soft sleeper class multishare compartments with air-conditioning and bunk beds, with sheets and a pillow provided.
- Temperatures and humidity can be high in Thailand, especially when walking in the countryside where, at times, there may be little shade. Be prepared by taking plenty of drink breaks and wearing appropriate skin protection. Some travellers find an umbrella handy to keep the sun off (this will also come in handy should it rain!).
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated. Children aged 17 years and under must present either a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery or proof of full vaccination. Any customer who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons can apply for an exemption. Customers must provide a medical certificate from a medical professional. These new safety measures apply on all trips, except for tours in Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Joining point instructions
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers