- duration 13 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 10+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Encounter sperm whales by boat and helicopter
- Spot dolphins in their natural habitat
- Visit the only mainland colony of royal albatross in the world
- See penguins, New Zealand fur seals and sea lions on the Otago Peninsula
In this tour, you’ll traverse some of the country’s most breath-taking natural landscapes; from serene island oases, to remote alpine peaks, to rich volcanic territories which produce hot springs, as well as providing nutritious soil for wine production.
These diverse environments are home to a plethora of birdlife, including the only mainland colony of royal albatross in the world, the vibrant orange wings of kea (the world’s only alpine parrot), a 9,000-strong colony of migratory gannets, plenty of adorable penguins and many more.
However, New Zealand’s abundant wildlife includes more than birdlife. On this self-drive adventure across the country, you'll encounter sperm whales by boat and helicopter, go dolphin spotting and share the beaches with playful fur seal colonies.
A birder’s dream, this wildlife tour of New Zealand's diverse habitats and endemic creatures offers a truly unique insight into the lessons of Mother Nature.
Day 1: Arrive in Auckland
Day 2: Transfer to Te Anau
Day 3: Seals and Penguins at Martins Bay
Day 4: Transfer to Stewart Island
Day 5: Tour of Ulva Island
Day 6: Birding at Port William
Day 7: Transfer to Dunedin
Day 8: Explore Dunedin and Otago Peninsula
Day 9: Transfer to Kaikoura
Day 10: Whale watching in Kaikoura
Day 11: Transfer to Nelson
Day 12: Birding & wildlife watching at Farewell Spit
Day 13: Transfer back to the airport
- Private chauffeur airport transfers
- Meals and drinks as per itinerary
- Domestic flights
- Car hire: Toyota Rav 4 or similar, with unlimited kilometres
- Entry fees and permits to national parks and reserves
- Private tours and wildlife excursions with English-speaking local guides and wildlife experts
- Helicopter trips around Martins Bay, Kaikoura and Nelson
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Optional activities and excursions included in the itinerary
- Anything not mentioned in the 'What's Included' section of the itinerary
- Save US$ 350+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.