- duration 19 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 1+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Enjoy a private guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set in Rotorua
- Visit the Lord of the Rings filming locations in Tongariro National Park
- Enjoy epic aerial views of Middle Earth on a private helicopter tour
- Witness natural wonders like WaiOTapu’s spurting geysers & Footwhistle Glowworm Cave
You’ll start in Cambriddge, with a visit to the enchanting glowworm caves of Waitomo, before embarking on a private guided tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set in Rotorua. Next, you’ll move on to Taupo and enjoy a private tour of Wai-O-Tapu’s spurting geysers and jewel-toned hot pools at Thermal Wonderland, take a thrilling jetboat ride at Huka Falls and meet a Maori master carver for traditional powhiri Maori welcome.
Then, it’s onto Tongariro National Park, which is packed with Lord of the Rings filming locations, before heading to Wellington for a private guided tour of Weta Workshop and Middle Earth filming locations. In Nelson, take Gandalf’s advice and fly, with a Lord of the Rings helicopter tour.
Also, journey to Lake Heron, staying at an authentic high country working farm, then head to Queenstown for a Lord of the Rings adventure safari, a helicopter tour and a nature cruise around the serene Milford Sound. Your adventure ends in Auckland, with world-class food and drink alongside relaxing harbour views.
This special interest tour combines New Zealand’s highlights with Lord of the Rings insider exclusives, immersing you in the mysterious world of Middle Earth and the country’s incredible natural beauty.
Day 1: Arrive in Auckland, transfer to Cambridge
Day 2: Explore Glowworm Caves, transfer to Rotorua
Day 3: Private tour of Hobbiton
Day 4: Explore Taupo, transfer to Tongariro
Day 5: Explore film locations in Tongariro National Park
Day 6: Explore Tongariro National Park, transfer to Turangi
Day 7: Transfer to Wellington
Day 8: Weta Workshop experience
Day 9: Explore Middle Earth
Day 10: Ferry to Picton, transfer to Nelson
Day 11: Ultimate Lord of the Rings helicopter tour
Day 12: Scenic drive to Lake Heron
Day 13: Explore Lake Heron, transfer to Lake Tekapo
Day 14: Transfer to Queenstown
Day 15: The Lord of the Rings Adventure Safari
Day 16: Milford Sound cruise & road tour
Day 17: Explore Queenstown
Day 18: Transfer to Auckland
Day 19: Departure from Auckland
- Private chauffeur airport transfers
- Accommodation and meals as stated in itinerary
- Domestic flights
- Car hire: Toyota Rav 4 or similar, with unlimited kilometres
- One-way ferry crossing
- Private Footwhistle Glowworm Cave Tour
- Private tour of Hobbiton Movie Set
- Full-day private LOTR Tour including lunch
- Private Weta Workshop Tour including effects workshop and two-course lunch
- Hukafalls jetboating
- The Ultimate Lord of the Rings Combo Tour plus Salisbury Falls add-on
- Powhiri in Taupo at a local Marae
- Middle Earth Filming Locations tour
- Safari of The Scenes: Wakatipu Basin tour
- Private LOTR Helicopter tour
- The Milford Sound Experience full-day private guided tour
- Milford Sound nature cruise
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Optional activities and excursions as per the itinerary
- Anything not mentioned in the 'What's Included' section of the itinerary
- Save US$ 350+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.