- Kayaking and canoeing
- Local culture
- Active and outdoor
- duration 20 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 1+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Learn the haka and taste a hangi (Included)
- Visit the famous Pancake Rocks in Punakaiki (Included)
- Stay in an International Dark Sky Reserve (Included)
We’re often asked what’s the difference between the North and South Islands of New Zealand – well, here’s your chance to find out! We’ll visit all the highlights: secluded beaches, glacier-fed lakes, Māori villages, mountainous ranges, lush rainforests and more adventure activities than you can imagine!
The North Island is filled with surprising contrasts: from the idyllic Coromandel where you can soak in a hot pool dug in the sand, venture through a geothermal wonderland of geysers, take a side-trip to Middle Earth-esque countryside, have underground adventures in caves lit by glow worms, and admire lush rainforests and even a volcanic desert – you’ll be amazed by it all.
But wait! There’s still the South Island to explore! Sailing between islands, you’ll get a grand entrance into this magnificent part of the world where you’ll get to enjoy marine wildlife, an epic adventure playground, visit the home of bungy, traverse mighty mountain passes, explore glacier country and then forge golden memories in the Abel Tasman area.
This small-group guided New Zealand itinerary covers three weeks of adventure across the North and South Islands, visiting the Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, Wellington, Kaikōura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), Abel Tasman National Park, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo, The Tongariro Crossing and Milford Sound along the way.
As with all our tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events across this New Zealand three week itinerary, ranging from a Māori cultural night to learning to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe), and even a greenstone carving experience.
You’ ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add, from bungy jumping and dolphin swimming to jet boating and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want.
Accommodation is included on the last night of your tour, but we can also book a few extra nights for you if you would like to extend your stay.
**Legendary Tour Tips:**
- Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
- As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
- The tour price includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online.
- Please note: private room upgrades are not available for one night on this tour: the cultural experience at Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara.
Day 1 Auckland to Coromandel
Day 2 Coromandel to Rotoroa
Day 3 Rotoroa
Day 4 Rotorua to Murupara
Day 5 Murupara to Taupō
Day 6 Taupō
Day 7 Taupō to Wellington
Day 8 Wellington to Kaikōura
Day 9 Kaikōura to Christchurch
Day 10 Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
Day 11 MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
Day 12 Queenstown
Day 13 Queenstown to Wanaka
Day 14 Wanaka to Franz Josef
Day 15 Franz Josef
Day 16 Franz Josef to Punakaiki
Day 17 Punakaiki
Day 18 Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
Day 19 Abel Tasman
Day 20 Abel Tasman to Wellington
- High-end hostel accommodation
- 19 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Comfortable bus transport
- Iconic ferry ride between the North and South Islands across the Cook Strait
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia - a local cultural centre - to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Get up close to Kaikōura’s cutest residents at a local seal colony
- Explore downtown Christchurch and see its inspiring regeneration since the 2011 quake
- Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, nestled by the shores of Lake Tekapo
- Unparalleled stargazing opportunities in Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Visit the charming, historic gold rush village of Arrowtown
- Carve your own pounamu (jade) pendant in Franz Josef
- Visit the Mountain Jade Factory in Hokitika
- Visit the famous Pancake Rocks of Punakaiki
- Two nights and a full day to play in the coastal paradise of Abel Tasman National Park
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe) along the Abel Tasman coastline
- Any international flights to Auckland and from Wellington are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Legendary NZ Tour tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 108+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Legendary NZ Tour tour. You can cancel the tour up to 45 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 44 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 09 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 09 November 2021, a deposit of 70 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 44 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Legendary NZ Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Legendary NZ Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.