- City sightseeing
- Active and outdoor
- duration 23 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Fully guided
- Footprint carbonneutralCO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Paddle a waka (Māori canoe) with your Haka group (Included)
- Cross the Cook Strait between the North and South Islands (Included)
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī (Included)
Everything you expect from a New Zealand 3 week itinerary and then some! Over 23 unforgettable days (and 23 nights) you’ll experience it all: secluded beaches, jaw-dropping scenery, Māori culture, mountainous ranges, lush rainforests and more adventure activities than you could ever tick off your bucket list.
From the idyllic Bay of Islands, through a geothermal wonderland of bubbling mud, traversing mighty mountains and then hiking the blue glacial ice of the wild West Coast, you’ll soon see that New Zealand is filled with many different landscapes and opportunities for adventure!
This small-group guided New Zealand land tour of the North and South Island will visit Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupō, Wellington, Kaikōura, Wanaka, Queenstown, Tekapo (an International Dark Sky Reserve), the Bay of Islands, Abel Tasman National Park, Punakaiki and Franz Josef Glacier, with the option to visit Hobbiton, Waitomo, The Tongariro Crossing and Milford Sound along the way.
As with all our New Zealand land tours, we do include a few 'must-do' events, ranging from a Māori cultural night to learning to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe), and even a greenstone carving experience.
You’ll see a massive range of optional activities available to add, from bungy jumping and dolphin swimming to jet boating and scenic flights. None of these are compulsory; just add the ones you want. Book this New Zealand itinerary for 3 weeks of pure adventure!
**Epic Tour Tips:**
Activities can also be purchased on the road – just let your tour guide know. We can't always guarantee availability when booking on the road, so we suggest pre-booking any activities you especially want to do.
As the tour starts early in the morning, you can opt to book accommodation in Auckland with us the night before the tour – only having to walk downstairs on the day the tour starts makes for a stress-free morning!
The tour price includes dorm share accommodation (4–6 share) but if you would prefer your own space you have the option to upgrade to a private room for the duration of your tour. You can select this upgrade when you start building your tour online. Please note: private room upgrades are not available for one night on this tour: the cultural experience at Kohutapu Lodge in Murupara.
Day 1 Auckland to Paihia
Day 2 Paihia
Day 3 Paihia to Auckland
Day 4 Auckland to Coromandel
Day 5 Coromandel to Rotorua
Day 6 Rotorua
Day 7 Rotorua to Murupara
Day 8 Murupara to Taupō
Day 9 Taupō
Day 10 Taupō to Wellington
Day 11 Wellington to Kaikōura
Day 12 Kaikōura to Christchurch
Day 13 Christchurch to MacKenzie Country
Day 14 MacKenzie Country to Queenstown
Day 15 Queenstown
Day 16 Queenstown to Wanaka
Day 17 Wanaka to Franz Josef
Day 18 Franz Josef
Day 19 Franz Josef to Punakaiki
Day 20 Punakaiki
Day 21 Punakaiki to Abel Tasman
Day 22 Abel Tasman
Day 23 Abel Tasman to Wellington
- High-end hostel accommodation
- 22 nights in high-end hostel accommodation (dorm share as standard) and 1 night shared cultural experience
- Tasty continental breakfasts every day
- Feast on a fish and chips dinner with spectacular Bay of Islands views
- Eat a traditional Māori hāngī meal cooked in an underground oven
- Comfortable bus transport
- Iconic ferry ride between the North and South Islands across the Cook Strait
- Passionate Kiwi guides
- Small groups, up to 16 people
- Experiences to teach you about our unique Māori culture
- Discover NZ's most spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Areas
- Journey through 7 National Parks
- Visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, the birthplace of New Zealand
- Sundowner Cruise aboard a catamaran in the Bay of Islands
- Explore Northland’s East Coast, peppered with stunning beaches and coastal walks
- Stunning walk to the spectacular arched cavern of Coromandel’s Cathedral Cove
- Dig your own hot tub at world famous Hot Water Beach
- Learn a haka and learn to weave flax with a local iwi (tribe)
- Visit Te Puia - a local cultural centre - to learn more about traditional Māori culture and discover Rotorua’s geothermal wonders
- See kiwi birds up close and personal
- Follow your nose to Rotorua’s bubbling mud pools
- Discover what makes Huka Falls the most visited natural attraction in NZ
- Check out the views from Matairangi/Mount Victoria, Wellington
- Fall in love with Wellington’s cafe and craft beer culture
- Get up close to Kaikōura’s cutest residents at a local seal colony
- Explore downtown Christchurch and see its inspiring regeneration since the 2011 quake
- Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, nestled by the shores of Lake Tekapo
- Unparalleled stargazing opportunities in Tekapo’s Dark Sky Reserve
- Visit the charming, historic gold rush village of Arrowtown
- Carve your own pounamu (greenstone/jade) pendant in Franz Josef
- Discover the beauty and history of pounamu in Hokitika, the greenstone capital of the country
- Visit the famous Pancake Rocks of Punakaiki
- Two nights and a full day to play in the coastal paradise of Abel Tasman National Park
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori war canoe) along the Abel Tasman coastline
- Any international flights to Auckland and from Wellington are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Epic NZ Tour tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Save US$ 151 today.
- Earn US$ 100+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Epic NZ Tour tour. You can cancel the tour up to 45 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 44 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 09 July 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 09 July 2022, a deposit of 64 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 44 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Epic NZ Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Epic NZ Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Guests are requested to follow the hygiene guidelines from WHO including the regular washing of hands. Hand sanitiser will also be readily available on tour
- Implemented COVID-19 Protocols