- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Dive deep into the history of the ancient city of Athens, with a local to guide you
- Explore the city’s many markets and legendary traditions within
- Step back in time and get insider knowledge on the city’s famous landmarks
- Discover Athens’ more recent history and architecture
Athens makes travelling easy; the streets are filled with cultural, historic, and culinary icons. The problem is knowing on which streets to find these treasures! Join this Athens tour to enjoy the benefits of having a local guide who will show you fresh produce, retail hot spots, ruins, temples, markets, and mosques.
We start your Athens tour by meeting your local guide at Ktozia Square, then head to the Mayor of Athens’ neo-classical building on Athina Street, one of the busiest in Athens. Starting at 9.30 AM when the city’s shops and markets are bustling with Athenians, you’ll see the shop owners get ready for a day of business, just as they have done for the past 2,000 years. You will experience the spirit of Greek life with the same commerce of food that existed thousands of years before, and your local guide will be explaining these practices to you along the way. On this Athens market tour you’ll dive into the Athenian way of life as your guide leads you through the markets. Here you will find every Mediterranean fruit, vegetable, meat, cheese, and more on offer. Experiencing local produce is one of the best things to do in Athens, and you’ll be able to pick out all the local favourites with the guide to show you the way. Filled with all these warm colours, tastes, and smells, the next stop is Monastiraki Square. The name of the square derives from the Greek word for monastery, and in the centre of the square sits the Pantanassa Monastery. The square is also home to the Adrian Library, an archaic temple constructed in the Corinthian-style, and not far away is the 18th century Tzistarakis Mosque, now a ceramics museum. This Athens tour will point out all these landmarks to you and give you all the information you need to know about them in this cultural hub of the city. Next, we explore the square’s flea market, mingle with merchants, and see ancient monuments as you uncover even more Athens history. Then, you’ll head off to Ifaistou or Pandrossos to discover shops selling all kind of specialties such as leather sandals, handmade icons, Greek music instruments, and antiques. This is the perfect place to pick up a momento of your Athens travel experience, and the perfect way to get in touch with Athens market culture. Your tour will take you past ancient Agora next, where merchants traded enthusiastically during Greek and Roman times. You’ll see the lively central neighbourhood of Thission and pass houses from the 17th and 18th centuries along the way, as we make our way to one of Athens’ oldest areas, Plaka, to enjoy a freshly brewed coffee as we chat about all things ancient Greek.
Your Athens tour ends at the entrance of the Acropolis, where you are free to continue on your own personal exploration or your local guide can give you advice on the best way to get back to your hotel. Don’t forget to ask for tips on what else to see and do during your stay.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Coffee or soft drink
- Food and additional drinks
- entrance fees
- tips and gratuities for your guide. Please note that this tour does not go inside the Acropolis.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Markets, Ruins & Ancient Athens tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 70 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Markets, Ruins & Ancient Athens tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Markets, Ruins & Ancient Athens tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Kotzia Square, in Athina Avenue between metros staions of Omonia and Monastiraki, in front of the Mayor Building. Your guide will meet you at the fountain in this square.Meeting end point :
The AcropoliCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.