- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the traditional tastes and fresh flavours of Athens
- Delight your senses in Athens’ Central Market
- Learn all about Athens’ culinary culture from a local guide
- Chat with a local deli owner about his specialities and fresh produce
See the 'big five' of Greek cuisine in their natural habitat: ouzo, feta, olives, olive oil and koulouri! If you don't know what koulouri is you soon will as this Athens tour explains it all live as you eat it (but not before you Instagram it).
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Thought Greek food was just feta, olives, and a truck load of moussaka? Wrong! This Athens food tour sets the story straight on the varied food scene in this ancient city with a modern twist, and you’ll leave full of tasty treats and local knowledge on one of the most underrated cuisines in the world.
You’ll meet your local guide and begin this Athens tour by exploring Kotzia Square, located in the heart of Athens. The square is surrounded by gorgeous neoclassical buildings, which were constructed in the early 18th century, and also some ancient ruins of old houses that you will have a peek at on your way to the market.
Your local guide will show you around the best of the Central Market, taking you to places few tourists venture and helping you to discover a variety of delicious Greek specialties. From the simple koulouri (a round-shaped bread with sesame seeds) and delicate local pastries, to the Greek staples of feta and olives, the Central Market is a feast for the senses. We also try either an invigorating Greek coffee (in the winter) or a cold frappe in warmer days, which are popular local beverages. Athens food is a rich mix of old and new, traditional and modern, and this tour is the perfect way to discover all these aspects.
Next on this culinary tour of Athens, we then drop by a Greek deli that sells traditional produce and is a popular shopping place for locals. Here you can chat to the shop owner and ask him about all of his produce — and taste some of course! This spot sells the best seasonal food available, perfect for a picnic in the city if you’d like to return another time during your stay in Athens.
Finally on this Athens tour, you’ll make your way to Monastiraki Square where your adventure will end. Your guide will be happy to recommend other places to see in this ancient city and where some of the best local restaurants are located, if you can stomach even more Greek deliciousness! If you feel like slipping into a food coma, your local guide will also give you hand in finding your way back to your accommodation.
- Tastings of Greek sweets
- Olive oil
- Greek alcohol
- And traditional meze. Visits to markets
- Kotzia Square
- Avyssinias Square
- Monastiraki Square
- Athena's Road
- And a traditional deli.
- Additional food or drink not mentioned above
- items of a personal nature
- tips or gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Taste of Athens tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 83 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Taste of Athens tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Taste of Athens tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
In Kotzia Square in front of the Mayor building.Meeting end point :
Monastiraki Square and metro station.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.