- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Enjoy a delicious home cooked Nubian meal with a local family
- Sample traditional Nubian dishes
- Learn about Nubian culture, history, traditions, and language
- Cross the mighty Nile River to reach Elephantine Island
Get a true taste for life in Aswan by sharing an authentic Nubian meal with a local family. Stroll the Nile River’s Elephantine Island like a true Nubian, chat with locals about their history and traditions, and find out why the people of Aswan are famous for their friendliness and incredible hospitality!
Imagine your entire village was moved from its ancestral lands because a dam was being constructed. This is the story of the Nubians in Southern Egypt, who were relocated to in the 1960s to the area around Aswan city.
On this Aswan tour, you’ll have the opportunity to not only eat delicious home cooked Nubian food, but also have the privilege of learning about the people, culture, history, and traditions of Aswan. We’ll visit a Nubian family in their home and experience some traditional hospitality. As a guest, you’re welcome to ask as many questions as you like! Learn about their lives and culture, and about the different Nubian tribes living around Elephantine Island.
Your Home Cooked Aswan tour will take you on a stroll around Elephantine Island before settling in for a shared meal with a local family. The styles and colours of the homes in this community cannot be found anywhere else in Egypt, so you’ll want to keep your camera ready!
Then, after we’ve walked and explored, it’s time to eat! The types of dishes you’ll be offered are among the most favourite delicacies for Nubians. You might get to sample dishes like Bird’s Tongue Soup (don’t worry, there are no tongues involved), or maybe some rice with vermicelli, oven-cooked chicken, Nile perch, and mixed vegetables. But no matter what’s on the menu, be aware that Nubians like to eat a lot — so be prepared and come hungry!
Following recent safety incidents we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Egypt before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts.
- Home cooked Nubian meal.
- English-speaking host to escort you to the family home
- Additional food and drink
- items of a personal nature
- tips and gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Home Cooked Aswan tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 17 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 17 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Home Cooked Aswan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Home Cooked Aswan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Isis Corniche Hotel, reception area (Corniche el Nile, 5 minutes from Aswan Centre)Meeting end point :
Isis Corniche HotelCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.