- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 30 days
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 15+ years old
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Discover the history and architecture of the Silk Road, visiting ancient mausoleums and mosques on guided tours in the cities of Turkistan, Sayram and Otrar.
- Travel alongside locals and admire wild, sweeping vistas on train rides across the Kazakh steppe, then experience the hospitality of Central Asia with five nights spent across Tajikistan's excellent homestay network.
- Surround yourself with the surreal landscapes of the AltynEmel National Park, including the mysterious singing sand dunes, then visit Grand Canyon's 'little brother', Charyn Canyon.
- Soaring along the iconic Pamir Highway is an unforgettable experience, especially in fine weather when the mighty peak of Muztag Ata rears its head.
Take a journey across the vast expanses of Central Asia on an expedition through the rugged and remote regions of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. From the glossy modernity of Nur-Sultan with its futuristic cityscapes, to the spellbinding ancient architecture of Samarkand’s mosques and mausoleums: visit unique cities and distant villages as you cross hundreds of kilometres of epic mountain passes and surreal landscapes – incomparable to anywhere else on earth. While political and military forces have battled over these regions for centuries, life in these isolated areas has changed very little – adding to the allure of this expansive cultural landscape. This is a trip designed for the true adventurer, for those craving escapism, outstanding beauty, unrivalled hospitality and the feeling of complete remoteness.
Turkistan – Shymkent/Overnight train
Altyn-Emel National Park
Altyn-Emel National Park – Almaty
Almaty – KAZ/KGZ Border Crossing – Karakol
Kyrgyzstan/Tajkistan Border Crossing – Murgab
Tajikistan/Uzbekistan Border Crossing – Samarkand
- Guesthouse/Hote with private rooms (20 nights), Overnight Train (1 night), Guesthouse/Homestay multishare (8 nights)
- 29 Breakfasts, 7 Lunches, 9 Dinners
- Private vehicle , Plane , Train , Overnight Sleeper Train
- An expert tour leader
- Nur-Sultan - City tour
- Baikonur - Yuri Gagarin Museum & House
- Baikonur - Cosmodrome
- Baikonur - Space Museum
- Otrar - Ancient settlement
- Turkistan - Yasui Mausoleum
- Almaty - Central State Museum
- Almaty - Museum of Kazakh Musical Instruments
- Almaty - Kok Tobe Hill
- Almaty - Panfilov Park
- Almaty - Medeu
- Almaty - Zenkov Cathedral
- Charyn Canyon - National Park
- Karakol - Dungan Mosque
- Karakol - Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral
- Karakol - Przhevalskiy Museum
- Karakol - Jeti Orghuz Canyon Hike
- Cholpan Ata - Petroglyphs
- Bishkek - City Tour
- Osh - Suleiman's Mountain
- Osh - Bazaar
- Tajikistan - Karakul Lake
- Langar - Petroglyphs
- Vrang - Buddist Stupa
- Ptup - Yamchun Fort
- Khorog - Regional Museum
- Khorog - Pamir Botanical Gardens
- Khorog – Bazaar
- Dushanbe - City Tour
- Dushanbe – Hissor Fort
- Dushanbe – National Museum of Antiquities of Tajikistan
- Samarkand - Shakh-I-Zinda
- Samarkand - Registan
- Samarkand - Gur-e-Amir Mausoleum
- Samarkand - Bibi-Khanym Mosque
- Samarkand - Paper making workshop & home cooked lunch
- Any international flights to Astana and from Tashkent are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Best of Central Asia tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 256+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Best of Central Asia tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 08 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 08 February 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Best of Central Asia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Best of Central Asia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip takes you way off the tourist trail to explore just some of the vastness that is Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. If you want to be far, far away from everywhere – and from anything you've experienced before – this trip is for you.
- Be prepared to experience the full legacy of the Soviet era – not just in the sights and history, but also in the standards of accommodation and service! In other words, while you’ll be comfortable, don’t expect luxury.
- In true adventure style, the trip involves some long travel days by private vehicle and trains. While tiring, this is a great opportunity to sit back, unwind and let the sweeping views roll by.
- Temperatures in the desert and out on the steppe are variable. The days can be very hot, while at night, the mercury plummets. Make sure you bring warm, comfortable layers, drink plenty of water and take care to protect yourself from the sun. For women, we recommend bringing a scarf to cover your head and shoulders while on visits to mosques and mausoleums.
- This is the ultimate Central Asian road trip. Travellers who enjoy the journey even more than the destination will get the most out of this trip.
- This trip visits places as high as 5000 metres above sea level, which can cause altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information on travelling at altitude and ensure you are familiar with signs of AMS.
- The varied terrain of Tajikistan also makes for extremely varied weather. Temperatures can range from below freezing to over 40ºC so check the weather forecast online before you visit and pack accordingly.
- Medical facilities can be as far away as 2-3 days' drive at times, as some locations are very remote. During this journey the group will spend time in remote areas without home comforts or easy access to medical facilities. You will need to have excellent physical health to join this trip and consult with your doctor before travelling if you have any ongoing illnesses or injuries.
- In the Pamirs you'll stay in local homestays, with the whole group often sleeping in one large room on mattresses on the floor. Bathroom facilities are outdoors, and it won't be possible to take a shower every night of the trip.
- Daily drives range from 3 to 10 hours in duration. Depending on traveller numbers, the group may be split into two vehicles. Though the longer travel days and single night overnight stays can be tiring, you'll be in a private vehicle, and much of the scenery in this part of the world is simply stunning.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Joining point instructions
Food and dietary requirements
Your fellow travellers
Finish point instructions
Climate and seasonal