- duration 10 days
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Enjoy sunrise over Mawenzi before pushing to the summit of Uhuru Peak (5895m)
- Trek to the summit of Shira Cathedral
- Walk through giant heather to reach the rim of Shira Plateau
- The option to walk to the summit of the Lent Hills (4700m)
A remote and scenic route to the summit of Africa's highest mountain. Approaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, fondly known as Kili, by the remote Shira Route is an exhilarating option for walkers keen to explore less trodden trails and who are comfortable in variable mountain conditions. From the forest and moorland to the caldera of Shira volcano, we explore the fascinating rock formations on the Shira plateau before traversing beneath the southern ice fields of Kibo. We enjoy stunning early morning views of Kibo and our day spent in the rarely visited Lent Hills will be a highlight before we join the main route to the summit of Uhuru Peak (5895m) on the crater rim. The eight day itinerary gives maximum possible acclimatisation and flexibility to enjoy the magnificent mountain scenery that extends from the volcanic summit to the vast African plains.
Day 1 : Join Arusha, trip briefing, rest of day at leisure
Day 2 : Commence climb to "Shira One" (3550m)
Day 3 : To Shira Two camp (3840m)
Day 4 : Trek to camp near Moir Hut (4200m)
Day 5 : To Lava Tower (4550m)
Day 6 : To Karanga (4000m)
Day 7 : To Barafu (4600m)
Day 8 : Ascend to summit, return to Millenium Camp (3800m)
Day 9 : Descend to Mweka gate and on to Arusha
Day 10 : In Arusha, trip concludes
- 2 nights in 3 star hotel in Arusha on a twinshare basis
- 9 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 9 dinners
- Experienced local mountain guides, cook and camp crew
- 7 nights fully supported camping on a twinshare tent basis
- Group camping equipment including tent (sleeping bag and mat not included - can be hired locally)
- Porters to carry personal and group equipment
- Park entrance fees valued at US$1109
- Emergency oxygen
- Christmas and New Year (please ask our staff for details of this small peak season surcharge)
- International or domestic flights
- Arrival or departure transfers in Arusha
- Sleeping bags and mats
- Aerated and alcoholic drinks.
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Bookmundi is partner with World Expeditions. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Save US$ 209 when booking on Bookmundi.
- Save +US$ 139 in Travel Credits on your next booking.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit of 320 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure. For any departures within 23 December 2019 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Kilimanjaro - Shira Route tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Kilimanjaro - Shira Route tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.