- duration 10 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Enjoy sunrise over Mawenzi before pushing to the summit of Uhuru Peak (5895m)
- Trek to the summit of Shira Cathedral
- Walk through giant heather to reach the rim of Shira Plateau
- The option to walk to the summit of the Lent Hills (4700m)
A remote and scenic route to the summit of Africa's highest mountain. Approaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, fondly known as Kili, by the remote Shira Route is an exhilarating option for walkers keen to explore less trodden trails and who are comfortable in variable mountain conditions. From the forest and moorland to the caldera of Shira volcano, we explore the fascinating rock formations on the Shira plateau before traversing beneath the southern ice fields of Kibo. We enjoy stunning early morning views of Kibo and our day spent in the rarely visited Lent Hills will be a highlight before we join the main route to the summit of Uhuru Peak (5895m) on the crater rim. The eight day itinerary gives maximum possible acclimatisation and flexibility to enjoy the magnificent mountain scenery that extends from the volcanic summit to the vast African plains.
Day 1 : Join Arusha, trip briefing, rest of day at leisure
Day 2 : Commence climb to "Shira One" (3550m)
Day 3 : To Shira Two camp (3840m)
Day 4 : Trek to camp near Moir Hut (4200m)
Day 5 : To Lava Tower (4550m)
Day 6 : To Karanga (4000m)
Day 7 : To Barafu (4600m)
Day 8 : Ascend to summit, return to Millenium Camp (3800m)
Day 9 : Descend to Mweka gate and on to Arusha
Day 10 : In Arusha, trip concludes
- 2 nights in 3 star hotel in Arusha on a twinshare basis
- 9 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 9 dinners
- Experienced local mountain guides, cook and camp crew
- 7 nights fully supported camping on a twinshare tent basis
- Group camping equipment including tent (sleeping bag and mat not included - can be hired locally)
- Porters to carry personal and group equipment
- Park entrance fees valued at US$1109
- Emergency oxygen
- Christmas and New Year (please ask our staff for details of this small peak season surcharge)
- International or domestic flights
- Arrival or departure transfers in Arusha
- Sleeping bags and mats
- Aerated and alcoholic drinks.
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 201 today.
- Earn US$ 134+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Kilimanjaro - Shira Route tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 31 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 31 March 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Kilimanjaro - Shira Route tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Kilimanjaro - Shira Route tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.